1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which DNA and RNA bases contain a carbonyl group?W

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    which DNA and RNA bases contain a carbonyl group?
    Which DNA and RNA bases are primary amines?

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: chemistry

List the bases then take a look at their structural formulas.

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

i did that a came up with adenine, guanine, and cytosine as primary amines
    but didnt get any with a carbonyl group??? that cant be right tho

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

Borek

What is carbonyl group?

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

isnt it a carbon with a double bonded O, an OH and an H on each side

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

Borek

What you described is a formic acid (H-(C=O)-OH in SMILES). You are probably mistaking carbonyl for carboxyl.

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7

so.. adenine, guanine, and cytosine are primary amines

& a carbonyl group is a Carbon with a double bonded O..so gaunine cytosine, thymine, uracil contain a carbonyl group...

CORRECT??

9. Nov 22, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, wwwaazup is correct in calling it a carbonyl group. S/he's not describing formic acid. S/he's describing the functional group on a nucleic acid.

Yes, those are correct. You probably could have figured this out pretty easily on your own, since all it took was looking at the picture in your book, or looking in your book or lecture notes for the definition of a carbonyl group so you know what you're looking for. Putting more effort into finding those explanations on your own before coming here for help will help you to understand what you're learning better.

10. Nov 22, 2008 #9

Borek

I can be missing something, or can be my English fails me, but I think you are wrong.

[​IMG]

First thing on the left is a carbonyl group. Just carbon, double bond and oxygen. No H on the side (as in aldehydes), no OH on the side (as in carboxylic acids). No both on both sides (as in formic acid).

Assuming that wwwaazup definition is OK, it requires that carbonyl is connected to either H or OH (or both). If so, none of the bases contain this kind of atom arrangement, as in all cases C=O is connected to either carbon and/or nitrogen atoms.

Proper definition of carbonyl should mention only carbon, oxygen and double bond. That's how it is defined in organic chemistry books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?