• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which engineering degree will be highly sought after in the future?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter htoor9
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was just curious which degree would be highly sought after.

Also on another note, what is the career outlook for optical engineering?

Answers and Replies

fss
How is anyone supposed to give you a firm answer to this question? Nobody can tell the future.

Various branches of electrical engineering are in high demand now and will probably remain in such a state for some time; digital signal/image processing, green technology, nanotechnology, computer engineering...

My dad said that power engineers would be needed in the future (he's a power EE working for one of the big petrochemical companies.)

Of course you'd have to do some research but it may be something to look into. :)

hotvette
Homework Helper
Don't discount what you believe you'd enjoy. It's better to thrive in an area you enjoy than to be unhappy in an area you don't.

I think EE. If there's a technological breakthrough (think electronic products), it tends to happen within the fields of EE.

How is anyone supposed to give you a firm answer to this question? Nobody can tell the future.
And even worse predictions destroy the future.

Suppose I told you that degrees in bottle washing will be sought after in five years. Everyone believes me. Everyone gets degrees in bottle washing, and after five years you have a ton of graduates in bottle washing looking for the jobs that don't exist.

Suppose you went back in time, and shot your grandfather. Bad things would happen, and so the world adjusts itself so that this can't happen.

Something that is interesting is that a machine that can perfectly predict the future is functionally equivalent to a time machine. From the point of view of the present, being able to perfectly simulate the future is equivalent from getting a message from the future, and you end up with all sorts of temporal paradoxes that makes it impossible to perfectly simulate the future.

So, what you are saying is... Poor Future Me has not sent next week's Lotto numbers because Poor Present Me won the Lotto, thus becoming Rich Future Me, who has no reason to send next week's Lotto numbers to Poor Present Me..? :frown:

I was just curious which degree would be highly sought after.

Also on another note, what is the career outlook for optical engineering?
Bio-Medical Engineering which is a bridge between Engineering and Medical courses will have good number of jobs,because many of the Electrical and Mechanical elements in medical devices are being replaced with digital technology.

http://aramfo.org" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: