Which engineering degree will be highly sought after in the future?

In summary, the conversation discusses the future demand for certain degrees, particularly in the field of electrical engineering. The speaker's father mentions power engineering as a potential sought-after degree, while the speaker believes that degrees in EE are generally in high demand due to technological advancements. However, it is also mentioned that predicting the future is difficult and can lead to unforeseen consequences. The conversation also briefly touches on the career outlook for optical engineering and the potential growth in bio-medical engineering.
htoor9
I was just curious which degree would be highly sought after.

Also on another note, what is the career outlook for optical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is anyone supposed to give you a firm answer to this question? Nobody can tell the future.

Various branches of electrical engineering are in high demand now and will probably remain in such a state for some time; digital signal/image processing, green technology, nanotechnology, computer engineering...

My dad said that power engineers would be needed in the future (he's a power EE working for one of the big petrochemical companies.)

Of course you'd have to do some research but it may be something to look into. :)

Don't discount what you believe you'd enjoy. It's better to thrive in an area you enjoy than to be unhappy in an area you don't.

I think EE. If there's a technological breakthrough (think electronic products), it tends to happen within the fields of EE.

fss said:
How is anyone supposed to give you a firm answer to this question? Nobody can tell the future.

And even worse predictions destroy the future.

Suppose I told you that degrees in bottle washing will be sought after in five years. Everyone believes me. Everyone gets degrees in bottle washing, and after five years you have a ton of graduates in bottle washing looking for the jobs that don't exist.

Suppose you went back in time, and shot your grandfather. Bad things would happen, and so the world adjusts itself so that this can't happen.

Something that is interesting is that a machine that can perfectly predict the future is functionally equivalent to a time machine. From the point of view of the present, being able to perfectly simulate the future is equivalent from getting a message from the future, and you end up with all sorts of temporal paradoxes that makes it impossible to perfectly simulate the future.

So, what you are saying is... Poor Future Me has not sent next week's Lotto numbers because Poor Present Me won the Lotto, thus becoming Rich Future Me, who has no reason to send next week's Lotto numbers to Poor Present Me..? :frown:

htoor9 said:
I was just curious which degree would be highly sought after.

Also on another note, what is the career outlook for optical engineering?

Bio-Medical Engineering which is a bridge between Engineering and Medical courses will have good number of jobs,because many of the Electrical and Mechanical elements in medical devices are being replaced with digital technology.

http://aramfo.org" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What types of engineering degrees are currently in high demand?

Currently, degrees in computer science, software engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering are in high demand. These fields are expected to continue growing in the future.

Which engineering degree will have the most job opportunities in the future?

It is difficult to predict which specific engineering degree will have the most job opportunities in the future as it can depend on various factors such as industry trends and technological advancements. However, degrees in computer science and software engineering are expected to have a high demand in the future due to the increasing reliance on technology.

Will there be a demand for environmental engineering in the future?

Yes, there is expected to be a growing demand for environmental engineering in the future as companies and governments become more focused on sustainability and environmental protection. This field will be crucial in developing and implementing solutions for environmental issues.

Is it important to choose an engineering degree based on future job demand?

While it is important to consider job demand when choosing a degree, it is also essential to pursue a field that aligns with your interests and strengths. Choosing a degree solely based on job demand may lead to dissatisfaction and lack of motivation in the long run.

Are there any emerging engineering fields that will be highly sought after in the future?

Yes, there are several emerging engineering fields that are expected to be in high demand in the future, such as artificial intelligence, data science, and biomedical engineering. These fields are at the forefront of technological advancements and are likely to see significant growth in the coming years.