1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which engineering involves the most physics?

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm considering , ChemE, ME, EECS, and aero/astro. As far as I know, EECS seems to have the best job opportunities and flexibility (especially the CS part), but ChemE/ME seem to have more physics in general. It seems like EECS at my school involves quite a lot of math (diffEq/Fourier/Laplace transform for courses like signals&systems, algorithm for CS classes), but very little physics per se, unless you get to graduate level EE classes.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify to me if I'm having any misconceptions.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2
    Don't do it for the job prospects, you'll either drop out or hate yourself in a few years if you do.

That's about right. Aside from electromagnetics and semi-conductors, all the physics is so applied that it's hard to see the physics part. What I mean is that it's all devices and signals and very much an extension of E&M physics, but on such a level that it's more of a conceptual leap than the ChemE/ME physics (which is a closer extension of mechanics.) If you like mechanics, go the ChemE/ME route, but if you just like physics, well EE's got lots of it too.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook