Should I learn American or British English for physics research and travel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hager mahdy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
68 replies · 10K views
mugaliens said:
I agree with you, Jared. I followed the link and actually learned something! Everyone's heard of "third world countries," but I'd always thought it had to do with them being at the bottom third, economy-wise.

Now I know better. Thanks for the link!

Myself also. I didn't realize there was a 'second world'. (not sure why I assumed they would skip it though.)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
Myself also. I didn't realize there was a 'second world'. (not sure why I assumed they would skip it though.)

In my youth I was always told what you think is 2nd world was in fact the 1st one.
 
Borek said:
In my youth I was always told what you think is 2nd world was in fact the 1st one.

The boundary between them seems rather blurry from what I've read.
 
jarednjames said:
The boundary between them seems rather blurry from what I've read.

It was at the time when the boundary was perfectly clear.
 
Tom Mattson said:
Oh, the difference between Australian and New Zealand accents is enormous.

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg&feature=related

Ha ha! To me, the New Zealand accent sounds more British than the Australian accent. But there probably are regional accents that I can't detect, sort of like someone from outside the US probably wouldn't be able to tell a NY from a NJ accent.

To the OP, if you find a course taught by a native speaker of English, regardless of where they're from, learn it from them. Once you learn either form of English, it will be a small effort to learn the differences between them later.
 
I'm wondering, in this argument between American English and British English, besides the different accents and words like 'elevator' vs 'lift', are there Science-related terms that are different? So far I only know of spelling differences, like the 'aluminum' vs 'aluminium' mentioned earlier.

I've been learning in British English in writing but we do not speak in British English/Queen's English/BBC English accent. And I've been using 'sulphur' for the longest time until lately the local Ministry of Education proposed a spelling change to 'sulfur'.

Also, if American English is chosen, by extension, would the units like miles and pounds be used instead of the metric system? :shy:

I think that it doesn't matter which English is chosen because as you study a subject, you tend to read up more and be exposed to many materials from many sources and in contact with many people with different accents, so the 'minor' differences like 'color' and 'colour' pose no problem at all. o:)
 
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you (all)very much
you helped me greately