Zwiebach question with link to text

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link Text
In summary, Zwiebach uses an ansatz in which he postulates certain equations to be true without proof and then uses them in later calculations. This approach is similar to the use of the Schrodinger equation in regular quantum mechanics.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://books.google.com/books?id=Xm...GCQ&sig=Eqnkxjj7B9gc4-nig1fgUkk7AqQ#PPA207,M1
As you can see on page 207, Zwiebach obtained 12.6 by simply demanding that it be true.
He does this also in chapter 11 with equations such as 11.27 (which I do not think is on the free preview). He just postulates that they are true and then he uses them in later calculations!
I have no idea what he is thinking! How can he just say for example. "equation 11.58 is reasonable" and then pretend like it is true without proving it!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I keep asking this question but it seems to never get answered? Is it just that I am so lost that it would take to long to explain it to me?

This is a crucial concept and if I understood it I would probably have a ton fewer questions about other stuff...

I have been most reluctant to answer this question because I am not sure of myself and would prefer that nrqed, or someone else with more insight than I have, would tackle this. I hope that my poor attempt will not mislead and will not discourage anyone from providing a more insightful answer.

Chapter IV of "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by P.A.M. Dirac is a very lucid discussion of this topic. I'm sure that a similar discussion can be found in most introductory texts on QM. Of course, I cannot quote the chapter in its entirety, but here is a relevant excerpt (emphasis mine):

Dirac (page 88) said:
It follows that any function of [itex]q_r[/itex] and [itex]p_r[/itex] will commute with any function of [itex]q_s[/itex] and [itex]p_s[/itex] when s differs from r. Different values of r correspond to different degrees of freedom of the dynamical system, so we get the result that dynamical variables referring to different degres of freedom commute. This law, as we have derived it from (9), is proved only for dynamical systems with classical analogues, but we assume it to hold generally. In this way we can make a start on the problem of finding quantum conditions for dynamical systems for which canonical coordinates and momenta do not exist, provided we can give meaning to different degrees of freedom, as we may be able to to with the help of physical insight.
I think you will find that in the commutation relations that you have been quoting, that they consist of the quintessential pq - qp = i along with enough Kronecker deltas and Dirac delta functions to implement the assumption concerning 'different degrees of freedom'. If I am right, Zwiebach is 'assuming' the deltas as Dirac predicted he would.

In the meantime, I found/thought of another answer.

The [p-hat,x-hat] = i h-bar commutator in regular quantum mechanics can be derived by using p-hat = - i h-bar d/dx and x-hat = x.

But where do those expressions for p-hat and x-hat come from? The Schrodinger equation.
And where does the Schrodinger equation come frome? Nowhere, it is an ansatz that seems to work.

So, in a sense that commutator is equivalent to the Schrodinger equation.

I think Zwiebach is doing the same thing. He is using those commutators as an ansatz and then deriving lots of equations that seem reasonable therefore justifying the original ansatz.

1. What is the Zwiebach question?

The Zwiebach question refers to a paradoxical thought experiment proposed by physicist Barton Zwiebach in his paper "The Physical Basis of String Theory." It raises the question of whether the fundamental laws of physics are determined by mathematical principles or if they are simply arbitrary properties of our universe.

2. What is the significance of the Zwiebach question?

The Zwiebach question is significant because it challenges our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of reality. It forces us to consider the role of mathematics in describing the physical world and whether there is a deeper underlying structure to the universe.

3. How does the Zwiebach question relate to string theory?

The Zwiebach question is closely linked to string theory, as it was proposed by a string theorist and is often used as a way to understand the fundamental principles of this theory. It raises important questions about the mathematical foundation of string theory and its relationship to other theories of physics.

4. What are some potential answers to the Zwiebach question?

There are several different ways that the Zwiebach question could be answered, depending on one's perspective. Some argue that the laws of physics are determined by mathematical principles, while others believe they are simply properties of our universe that we have yet to fully understand. Some suggest that the answer may lie in a combination of both mathematical principles and physical properties.

5. How does the Zwiebach question impact current research in physics?

The Zwiebach question continues to be a topic of discussion and debate among physicists, and it has influenced the direction of research in physics. It has also led to new developments in string theory and other areas of physics as scientists seek to find answers to this thought-provoking question.