Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Industry Will Be Next Big Thing Just Like Silicon Valley Boom In 90's?

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    Which Industry Will Be Next Big Thing Just Like Silicon Valley Boom In 90's???

i mean industry that will provide huge wealthy oppurtunities just like silicon valley boom in 90's.could it be renewable energy,genetic engineering,materials engineering,nanotechnology,space construction or anything else???i know renewable energy made a couple of billionaires in china lately.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2

Wax

Re: Which Industry Will Be Next Big Thing Just Like Silicon Valley Boom In 90's???

Renewable energy. Cap and trade is about to pass in America along with many other G7 countries.

4. Aug 17, 2009 #3
    Re: Which Industry Will Be Next Big Thing Just Like Silicon Valley Boom In 90's???

is there still has spaces for people to jump into the game??what about the other industries that will be a bomb?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  5. Aug 17, 2009 #4

Wax

What do you mean jump into the game? You mean finding a degree in a renewable energy related field?

6. Aug 17, 2009 #5

Future Prospect.Anyway,what are the other industries that have potentials ?

7. Aug 17, 2009 #6
    The Next Trillionaire Industries????(Serious)

which would be the next trillionaire industries in the future just like how internet and telecommunication boom were in 90's???

posibillities:
    nanotechnology/materials science
    genetic engineering
    renewable energy
    nuclear fusion
    robotics
    quantum
    military hardware
    space travel
    automation
    wireless energy
    another computer/software/internet/etc boom?
    transportation(exp:everyone owns a private jet?)
    artificial intelligence
    applied mechanics
    virtual world
    graphene
    green revolution?
    anything else????

lets discuss here so that we may become the next billionaires.im an aspirin succesful entrepreneur.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  8. Aug 17, 2009 #7
    Re: The Next Trillionaire Industries????(Serious)

English is your friend when your an aspiring (aspirin is a drug) entrepreneur.

9. Aug 17, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fossil fuel industry in the US is worth about $1 trillion annually. About a third to half of that money leaves the country, depending on the price of crude.

10. Aug 17, 2009 #9

Some sort of novel transportation revolution is needed. Alot of time is wasted behind a steering wheel when commuting in a car. Increasingly people are utilizing this time doing other things, and as a result increase the risk of an accident, and do a poorer job at whatever they are doing. An energy efficient smart car with autopilot would solve the problem, and buy more time for commuters to utilize. It would reduce traffic accidents, and kill any DUIs.

11. Aug 17, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A few of those aren't even industries. For example, "quantum". Quantum what? Automation, robotics, applied mechanics, and virtual world are all very vague as well. Military hardware is already a trillion dollar business annually around the world.

12. Aug 17, 2009 #11

Medicine and Energy will always be huge. "virtual world?" I know that World of Warcraft can be addicting to some people, but I don't think we, as a people, are THAT pathetic.

I think he means Quantum Computation.

13. Aug 17, 2009 #12

Robotics and artificial intelligence. And then Homo Sapiens will become obsolete technology, so it will also be the end of us.

14. Aug 17, 2009 #13

I think quantum technologies. i know that is ambiguous but I think people start to engineer more and more using quantum techniques. I think the next century alot of people will be doing some pretty cool things with it. Quantum computers for instance I think is where it might start.

15. Aug 17, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

Nanotechnology, it already [invaded], if I must say, every industrial field, electronics, medicine… just every thing

16. Aug 17, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Think incremental, where efficiencies could be key. Graphene nano-components, for instance, if you are interested in supplanting silicone in chips.

If you are a thinking of CE, you might do well to follow the University of Maine. They have recently come up with a way to produce tubes of carbon composites, inflate them, coat them with resins, fill the tubes with concrete and build bridges on-site quickly with limited resources. Sometimes it takes a fresh look at existing tech to create the leverage.

17. Aug 17, 2009 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

IMO: battery storage technology.

18. Aug 17, 2009 #17

(Shakes head as I hit the back button to get me out of this thread).

19. Aug 17, 2009 #18

since there are already a bunch of start ups in renewable energy industry,do you people think there still have chances to jump into the game?

20. Aug 17, 2009 #19

Sure. It doesn't matter if it bunk and bogus. It can still make a profit. Probably not a trillion, though. Does that matter to ya?

21. Aug 17, 2009 #20

how did renewable energy start getting big deal anyway?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook