Which integral can I solve by substitution: cos(x²), x cos(x²), or x² cos(x²)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Natasha1
Messages
494
Reaction score
9
I have been asked to state which one of the following 3 integrals I can solve using integration by substitution

(i) integral cos (x^2) dx

(ii) integral x cos x (x^2) dx

(iii) integral x^2 cos (x^2) dx

I would say that it is (ii) because x is the derivative of x^2 is that the correct answer or is there anything else I should add? Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That would be okay enough, I guess.
 
Well, x isn't the derivative of [itex]x^2[/itex], but I know what you meant. Maybe you could also show how basic substitution fails on the other two.