Which Ion Has a More Negative Electron Affinity: Na+ or Cl?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electron affinity and how it relates to the atomic structure of different elements. The question is asked which has a more negative electron affinity, Na+ or Na? Na+ or Cl? The answer is given as Na+ because of its noble gas configuration. The conversation also touches on the topic of atomic radius and its relationship to electron affinity. The conclusion is that Na+ and Cl- ions are commonly found in nature due to their tendency to attain the electron configuration of the nearest noble gas.
OneMan98
Hi guys, my first post/question. Excuse my stupidity if you think this is an easy question, I'm really having a difficult time with reviewing this part in general chemistry.

Homework Statement

Which has a more negative electron affinity, Na+ or Na? Na+ or Cl?

2. The attempt at a solution
My thinking was to write down the ground-state electron configurations.

Na+: [Ne]
Na: [Ne]3s^1
Cl: [Ne]3s^2 3p^5

Electron affinity is described as the energy change that occurs when an electron is added to an isolated atom in its gaseous state.

I assumed for the first part of the question that Na had a greater negative electron affinity because it would become paired in the s orbital, and since Na+ already has a noble gas configuration, wouldn't adding an electron make the Electron affinity positive?

For the second part I naturally assumed it was Cl for similar reasons, and since the textbook says halogens have the greatest Electron affinities.

Answer for both questions: Na+

I don't really understand how/why, so if someone could please explain in a manner that's simple yet concise, that would be awesome.

Thanks Physics forum! I look forward to being an active member on here and learning a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should try to analyze it just taking simple electrostatic into account.

What is the electron charge?

What should be easier - attaching electron to neutral Na or to positively charged Na+?

What should be easier - attaching electron to neutral Cl or to negatively charged Cl-?

man WOW! it's much simpler
electron affinity is inversly propertianal to atomic radius RIght? why?
and atomic radius is directly proportianal to number of positive charges right? why?

Borek said:
What should be easier - attaching electron to neutral Cl or to negatively charged Cl-?
I think you misread the second question. It was "Na+ or Cl?", not "Cl- or Cl?".

Na+ or Cl is pretty easy to answer by considering what happens if you have an Na+ ion and a Cl atom fight over an electron. If the Na+ ion gets it, you end up with an Na atom and a Cl atom. If the Cl atom gets it, you end up with an Na+ ion and a Cl- ion. If you look around you, you will see Na+ and Cl- ions all over the place, happily bumping into each other. I defy anyone to find elemental sodium metal and chlorine gas in peaceful coexistence.

well, that in case they ARE in the same reaction medium
but it's still right because any atom wants to get the electronic confugaration of the nearest noble gas so for Na it's Na+ Ne and for Cl its Cl- Ar

Related to Which Ion Has a More Negative Electron Affinity: Na+ or Cl?

What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom in its gaseous state to form a negative ion.

How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

What factors affect electron affinity?

The main factors that affect electron affinity are the nuclear charge, atomic radius, and electron configuration of an atom. Elements with a higher nuclear charge and a smaller atomic radius tend to have a higher electron affinity. Additionally, atoms with a half-filled or fully-filled valence shell have a higher electron affinity.

What is a positive electron affinity?

A positive electron affinity indicates that energy is required to add an electron to an atom, meaning the atom is less likely to form a negative ion. This is often seen in elements with a full valence shell.

How does electron affinity relate to electronegativity?

Electron affinity and electronegativity are related, but not the same. Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract and hold onto electrons in a chemical bond, while electron affinity is specifically the energy released when adding an electron to an atom. In general, atoms with a high electron affinity also tend to have a high electronegativity.