Which is stronger, a 12V electromagnet or neodymium magnet at 4 oz?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
THORPE
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Which one is stronger given they are the same size and weight? Say 4 oz.

Just say you only have 12v to work with on the electromagnet.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Electromagnets scale better then neodymium.
For small quantities, I would say go for neodymium.
Anything past 1lb or so, I would use electromagnets with a iron core.

Also, electromagnets aren't limited by the voltage, but rather the current (as its essentially a short circuit)
I've used 2Amp power supplies before, however you need to keep an eye out on the electromagnet as it will warm up and burn out quickly.
 
That's good news. Thanks for the info you saved me tons of time.