1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is the constant of differentiation?

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    .png
    When the textbook differentiated with respect to time, I see that the middle term is R(dI/dt). Why can't it be I(dR/dt)? When I differentiate, how do I know which letter to differentiate?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    2. Relevant equations
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

L, R, and C are constants. You are differentiating with respect to time and the constants don't vary.

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you ignore the template? You even went through the trouble to change the font color.

To answer your question:

R is a constant just like L and C. You had no objection to treating them as constants.

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4
    I see... If I look at the original equation (1.2) has ##\frac{dI}{dt}## and that tells me that I is not a consant?

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, it helps to understand something of the physics behind this problem.

V is voltage or emf. I is current.

7. Oct 20, 2015 #6
    The example was on differential equations in general, so the textbook didn't give me background information on the physics.

8. Oct 21, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You could use the product rule, differentiating the product RI w.r.t. time. What result would you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted