Which is the constant of differentiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of variables L, R, and C with respect to time and the use of the product rule. The middle term in the equation is R(dI/dt) and the question is raised as to why it cannot be I(dR/dt). It is clarified that R, L, and C are constants and I is not, leading to the use of the product rule to differentiate RI.
Calpalned
.png

When the textbook differentiated with respect to time, I see that the middle term is R(dI/dt). Why can't it be I(dR/dt)? When I differentiate, how do I know which letter to differentiate?
3. The Attempt at a Solution
2. Homework Equations
1. Homework Statement

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:
View attachment 90516
When the textbook differentiated with respect to time, I see that the middle term is R(dI/dt). Why can't it be I(dR/dt)? When I differentiate, how do I know which letter to differentiate?

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

L, R, and C are constants. You are differentiating with respect to time and the constants don't vary.

Calpalned said:
View attachment 90516

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Why did you ignore the template? You even went through the trouble to change the font color.

To answer your question:

R is a constant just like L and C. You had no objection to treating them as constants.

LCKurtz said:
L, R, and C are constants. You are differentiating with respect to time and the constants don't vary.
I see... If I look at the original equation (1.2) has ##\frac{dI}{dt}## and that tells me that I is not a consant?

Calpalned said:
I see... If I look at the original equation (1.2) has ##\frac{dI}{dt}## and that tells me that I is not a consant?
Actually, it helps to understand something of the physics behind this problem.

V is voltage or emf. I is current.

Likes Calpalned
SammyS said:
Actually, it helps to understand something of the physics behind this problem.
The example was on differential equations in general, so the textbook didn't give me background information on the physics.

Calpalned said:
The example was on differential equations in general, so the textbook didn't give me background information on the physics.
You could use the product rule, differentiating the product RI w.r.t. time. What result would you get?

1. What is the constant of differentiation?

The constant of differentiation, also known as the arbitrary constant, is a constant value that is added to the derivative of a function. It is denoted by the letter "C" and is used to account for all possible solutions of the derivative equation.

2. Why is the constant of differentiation important?

The constant of differentiation is important because it allows us to find the general solution to a derivative equation. Without it, we would only have a specific solution that may not apply to all cases. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and its derivatives.

3. How is the constant of differentiation determined?

The constant of differentiation is determined by integrating the derivative of a function. This process is known as anti-differentiation or finding the indefinite integral. The constant value is then added to the resulting function.

4. Can the constant of differentiation be negative?

Yes, the constant of differentiation can be negative. It can take on any real value, including positive, negative, or zero. The value of the constant depends on the specific problem and cannot be determined without additional information.

5. Is the constant of differentiation the same for all functions?

No, the constant of differentiation can vary for different functions. Each function has its unique constant value that must be determined through integration. However, in some cases, the constant may cancel out when solving for a particular solution.