Which Math Course Should Take Priority?

• Thread starter diligence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, abstract algebra is important, but classical mechanics is more important for a mathematician.
diligence
Hey all,

I'm currently a pure math major, though I'm leaning towards going to grad school for applied math, specifically dynamical systems and climate modeling. This semester, upper division abstract algebra and upper division classical mechanics are only offered in the same time-slot. I know abstract algebra isn't *that* important for applied mathematicians, but it's still very fundamental material that every mathematician should have familiarity with.

Which of these courses should take priority? I can make a case for both: the case for mechanics is that it's very basic physics and highly applicable to dynamical systems. The case for abstract is that it's also very basic, but for math in general, and also since I just took linear algebra and it's the natural sequel to that course.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think classical mechanics is pretty essential. I'd take that. Its entirely possible to do climate simulations without abstract (a professor is an example). Still if there is anyway to do both I'd do that.

have you taken any algebra at all? If not, then you should take algebra without a second thought.. if you want to be any kind of mathematician, you will definitely need to know about algebra.

wisvuze said:
have you taken any algebra at all?

I've taken linear algebra.

diligence said:
I've taken linear algebra.

You can't call yourself a mathematician if you didn't take abstract algebra... You should at least know something about groups and rings. Even if you'll never need it again.

Abstract algebra isn't as useless as you think it is though. It's very likely you'll never need it, but you never know.

Abstract algebra is the proper language for many concepts in linear algebra, calculus/analysis and discrete math. If you don't have any abstract algebra under your belt, you don't really understand any of the mathematics that you've studied.

You should read the Wikipedia articles on abstract algebra out of curiosity. However, it does not appear to be nearly as necessary for you to grind through in detail as much as the other subject, so take the other.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the choice I'm presented with this semester is, if you will, some sort of vague sign that will indicate the direction of my career path, in that choosing algebra will pave the way towards becoming a mathematician, while choosing mechanics will nudge me towards the career of a mathematically-trained scientist. In consideration of the opinions expressing the importance of algebra, I'll keep a thorough treatment of the subject high on my list of academic priorities. However, I think my current aspirations would be much better served by the earliest possible development of physical intuition, so that classical mechanics is likely the wisest choice in my situation.

I will add that if you take subject X, and it does NOT click for you as much, it could nudge you in the OPPOSITE direction. Never make decisions based on introductions. Go a bit deeper. Both of these subjects can be useful in various directions, and one mistake often made is oversimplifying what a field consists of.

1. What are the benefits of taking higher level math courses?

Higher level math courses can provide a strong foundation for problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and logical reasoning. It can also improve your analytical skills and help you better understand complex concepts in other subjects such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How can I determine which math course is the best fit for me?

The best way to determine which math course is the best fit for you is to consider your academic and career goals. Are you planning to pursue a degree in a math-related field? Do you have a specific area of interest in math? It is also helpful to assess your current math skills and knowledge, and seek advice from a math teacher or academic advisor.

3. Is it necessary to take advanced math courses in high school?

It is not necessary to take advanced math courses in high school, but it can provide a strong foundation for college-level math courses and future career opportunities. It is also helpful for students who plan to pursue a degree in a math-related field.

4. Can I handle taking multiple math courses at once?

Taking multiple math courses at once can be challenging, but it is possible to handle if you have a strong interest and aptitude for math. It is important to manage your time effectively, seek help from teachers or tutors when needed, and stay organized to keep up with the workload.

5. Should I prioritize taking a specific math course over others?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you have a specific area of interest in math, it may be beneficial to prioritize courses in that area. However, it is also important to have a well-rounded understanding of different math concepts and skills. It is best to discuss with a teacher or academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your individual goals and needs.