1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Math Grad school with only one real analysis course?

1. Jul 13, 2017 #1
    Assume student has taken around 8 upper division math courses including abstract algebra 1 and abstract algebra 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2017 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What is your question? Are you asking if there is an error in his transcript?

4. Jul 14, 2017 #3
    No. I'm wondering if I can get into grad school without real analysis 2

5. Jul 14, 2017 #4
    Sorry I was vague. I may not be able to take real analysis 2 (advanced calculus). It's only offered every other year.

6. Jul 14, 2017 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is difficult for me to imagine starting a graduate program in mathematics without having taken advanced calculus, even if you would focus specifically on discrete structures. But why don't you inquire with the program(s) you aim to attend? Perhaps you are in luck and your other courses can act as compensation.

By the way, when I read "real analysis", I think more of a course on the underpinnings of certain parts of advanced calculus. Such a course usually spends considerable time on measure and integration.

7. Jul 14, 2017 #6
    I will be able to take advanced calculus I but not advanced calculus II. Both courses are undergraduate analysis. The first of one variable. The second of multivariable.

8. Jul 14, 2017 #7
    So will grad schools admit candidates with only one semester of undergrad analysis?

9. Jul 15, 2017 #8

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ask your school(s), that is the only way to know for sure.

However, personally I would not put too much confidence in a school accepting students without a foundation in multivariable analysis.

10. Jul 15, 2017 #9
    Ok thank you. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted