Which math skills do I need to brush up before studying Physics?

In summary, if you want to pursue undergraduate studies in physics, you will need to brush up your math skills.
Ryker
So I was wondering what math skills I need to brush up if I want to sucessfully pursue undergraduate studies in Physics. I am namely 6 - 7 years removed from high school and have therefore forgotten a lot of things I was being taught in Maths classes. Another thing is that where I come from (Slovenia) we didn't have "Algebra", "Calculus" or "Trigonometry" as separate classes, but only Maths as one all-encompassing class. I'm pretty sure we went into more detail than US high schools go (don't know about Canada and UK, though I assume for the latter it's similarly rigorous as throughout Europe) and that we covered everything that was needed.

However, since I'm applying to Canadian universities I was thinking of brushing up my skills by going through textbooks in English - to get familiar with the terminology - and given that there also seems to be a differentiation as far as particular parts of Maths are concerned, and would therefore like to kindly ask for anyone who is willing and can to point me in the direction of what exactly I need to re-learn and which textbooks would best serve this goal. Is there a book that covers all that is to know?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also wondering the answer of this question. And yes I know these topics you posted Klockan. Also have a little Calculus 1 knowledge. what math skills you can offer me to work on ?

Search for some old college calculus exams like this:
http://www.math.umass.edu/~lr7q/m131-spring2005/oldexams/f-F02.pdf
If you don't understand something then google it. And don't panic if you can't do all of it, you aren't supposed to. It is just that this is roughly what you will be doing.

Don't really know on which level you guys will start. Will you skip the calculus blocks or will you read it all again? Also, the first year courses are all mostly quite easy with a lot of time for each. You should have ample of time to brush up your skills during those courses if you are going in for it seriously.

1. What specific math concepts do I need to know before studying Physics?

Some of the important math concepts you need to know before studying Physics include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and geometry. These concepts are essential for understanding the mathematical principles and equations used in physics.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to study Physics?

While having a strong background in math can certainly help, it is not a requirement for studying Physics. Having a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is enough to start learning Physics. However, a strong foundation in math can make it easier to understand and apply complex mathematical concepts in Physics.

3. How much math do I need to know for introductory Physics courses?

The amount of math required for introductory Physics courses varies depending on the level and complexity of the course. Generally, you will need to have a good understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry, as well as some knowledge of calculus. It is always best to check the course syllabus for specific math requirements.

4. Can I study Physics without being good at math?

It is possible to study Physics without being good at math, but it may be challenging. Physics is a highly mathematical subject, and having a good understanding of math can greatly aid in understanding and solving problems. However, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve your math skills while studying Physics.

5. Are there any online resources to brush up on math skills for Physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you brush up on your math skills for Physics. Some examples include Khan Academy, Coursera, and OpenStax. These resources offer free tutorials, practice problems, and interactive lessons to help improve your math skills for studying Physics.