1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Which mechanical engineering jobs are the most stable?

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    From what I understand, there are some industries in Mechanical Engineering that are typically boom/bust (like oil and gas and aerospace). I wonder which ones are the most stable? I think HVAC is a possibility, but I don't know if it's the kind of thing that I would like to work on for my entire life. I do like turbomachinery, and I think it's a very interesting field. Is it a stable industry, also? At least, looks like it has HUGE applications (aircraft, energy...).
    Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can find an industry which utilizes engineers that is not affected by economic cycles, either national, or more importantly globally, you will have discovered the Philosopher's Stone of guaranteed employment.

The best hedge against being adversely affected by such periodic downturns is to gain as much experience as you can from your first day of working, so that you are more adaptable than the typical ME, and thus qualified for more positions..

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm an HVAC engineer and I think it is likely to be more boom/bust than the others, but that is difficult to predict. The last cycle for construction type engineering was a massive boom followed by a massive bust. Petroleum engineering saw a big boom and big bust in the USA, but overall oil isn't going to be something we can do without for a long time. Aerospace as an industry is more level, but companies boom and bust based on the success of products.

So the boom and bust cycle isn't really something you can get away from I don't think. The way you protect yourself from it is primarily being good at your job and making sure you work for a good company.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted