Which PF usernames stand out as the best?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, WarrenDude likes the sound of ZapperZ and is looking for a username that is not likely to be misspelled. He nominated both dextercioby and franznietzsche. Moonbear is also a cool username. Franznietzsche wins by a country mile.
Awesome! Bob G looks so handsome!

Here's some reference for you SOS: http://www.lil-abner.com/

I believe your character is Moonbeam Mcswine..
http://www.lil-abner.com/images/moonbeam.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SOS2008 said:
I love BobG's new avatar too! :biggrin: Danger started this, so maybe he can remind me of the names of these cartoon characters. :smile:
Good grief, I've created a monster. Okay, MIH is Daisy Mae & BobG is Li'l Abner. I can think of a couple of appropriate users for some of the auxilliary characters, who can be found http://www.lil-abner.com/other.html , among other places.

Danger said:
Good grief, I've created a monster. Okay, MIH is Daisy Mae & BobG is Li'l Abner. I can think of a couple of appropriate users for some of the auxilliary characters, who can be found http://www.lil-abner.com/other.html , among other places.
I remember reading the Li'l Abner comics as a kid, but only remember some of these characters. Very interesting--Thanks! :biggrin:

my screenname is odd, but fibonacci is kinda cool, however i would have to vote for chroot, just because you can't say it, unless you happen to be polish, they seem to like that thing where words have many few vowes in places where you need them.

Fibonacci

I think it should be math is hard, because it's so true

vote math is hard! :biggrin:

yomamma said:
I think it should be math is hard, because it's so true

vote math is hard! :biggrin:
yay! votes for yomomma right back! :biggrin:

loseyourname said:
How the hell has no one mentioned TheStatutoryApe? That's far and away the best username.
Thank you. :blushing:
I like your's too, but I'd have to say selfAdjoint is my favorite.
I like Evo, it's simple but sexy.
Math Is Hard is cute... er I mean the name, though I understand the user is too. ;-p

TheStatutoryApe said:
I like Evo, it's simple but sexy.
Aww, thanks. I like your name too. :smile:

Who has the best avatar?

We've been over that before. Please don't get them started again.

yomamma said:
Who has the best avatar?
Yeah I think that would call for a separate thread.

SOS2008 said:
I remember reading the Li'l Abner comics as a kid, but only remember some of these characters. Very interesting--Thanks! :biggrin:
Isn't Li'l Abner required reading in our education system? It should be. Li'l Abner and Peanuts are the two comic strips that have had the greatest impact on our culture.

"If I had my druthers..." - straight from the Li'l Abner comic strip.

"Sadie Hawkins Day" dances - straight from the Li'l Abner comic strip (in fact Sadie Hawkins is one of the Li'l Abner characters).

I'm sure there's a few other phrases that came from Li'l Abner.

Actually, Li'l Abner was in its heyday (yet another hick reference) a little before my time, too. It's peak popularity was in the 50's and earlier. It was pretty biting political commentary - it was the conservative answer to the liberal Pogo (another classic comic strip). By time you and I were reading it, Al Capp had lost a lot of interest in the whole idea and was just churning out gags because it was a job.

Errrgg. Now everyone knows where I find my "classic literature". :redface:

brewnog said:
I always saw it as 'Zapperzed'. I kinda prefer it like that...
That sounds just a little too much like 'Zipperhead', one of our standard insults around here.
I've got to go along with Loser in that 'StatutoryApe' is one of the most clever ones. 'Evo' evokes a techno-sexiness that's hard to beat. I'd like to know where 'Moonbear' came up with hers, 'cause it sounds really cool but has no significance that's obvious. Same for 'SOS2008' and 'Ivan Seeking'. 'Integral', 'Derivitive', 'Chronxeh', fib, and 'Astronuc' are particulary appropriate for the site.
If I absolutely had to chose, I think that I'd have to vote for 'Brewnog', both for originality and because it seems to project his personality.

best name is Astronuc
ZapperZ is too widely used...i have encountered many Zapper's on the net

Danger and Evo have the best avatars

marlonB

i also like mooberrymarz, but that's just because she is so beautiful...just like Evo's youngest daughter with the tan...

Last edited:
Danger posted the greatest photo's ever...he should be in the movies...

marlon

Greater than You said:
Lets get on the rizzeal, my name expalins it all.
All except your spelling, that is... :-p

marlon said:
Danger posted the greatest photo's ever...he should be in the movies...
You must have me mixed up with another Danger... :confused:

Danger said:
That sounds just a little too much like 'Zipperhead', one of our standard insults around here.
I've got to go along with Loser in that 'StatutoryApe' is one of the most clever ones. 'Evo' evokes a techno-sexiness that's hard to beat. I'd like to know where 'Moonbear' came up with hers, 'cause it sounds really cool but has no significance that's obvious. Same for 'SOS2008' and 'Ivan Seeking'. 'Integral', 'Derivitive', 'Chronxeh', fib, and 'Astronuc' are particulary appropriate for the site.
If I absolutely had to chose, I think that I'd have to vote for 'Brewnog', both for originality and because it seems to project his personality.
A guy I knew had the axle on his trailer break in Teslin, Yukon and some guy the locals called "Fred the Zipperhead" came to his aid. No wonder the guy turned out to be no help (after waiting for hours for "Fred the Zipperhead", someone else finally gave my friend a ride to Fred's cabin, where they found him sleeping).

But, then again, my friend so overloaded his pickup truck for his trip to Alaska that he broke an axle in Wyoming before he even made it to the Canadian border. He decided that maybe he had too much stuff, so put some in storage and bought a used trailer in Wyoming (the trailer that broke in Teslin) for the stuff he just couldn't do without. Yet a second trailer he bought in Teslin (he had to buy a weedwacker in order to see the trailer he was buying) and he finally arrived in Alaska with a full pickup truck and a full trailer - all stuff that had to be fit into a 10x12 room for an entire year and still leave room for furniture.

He and Fred the Zipperhead were made for each other. Kindred spirits, to be sure. :smile:

BobG said:
A guy I knew had the axle on his trailer break in Teslin, Yukon and some guy the locals called "Fred the Zipperhead" came to his aid. No wonder the guy turned out to be no help
The Yukon would not be my first choice of places to break down, and I'd put logs under the bloody thing and drag it before I'd let somebody named 'Zipperhead' work on it. (It's one thing if everybody calls him that, but if he answers to it you're in trouble.)
Incidentally, I'm not putting down the Yukon; it's beautiful up there. Facilities are somewhat few and far between, though.

Danger said:
StatutoryApe is great--I LOL when I first saw it. loseyourname is hip, but long, so we need to get a shortened version like we do for MIH. I thought Evo was for Evo Devo - from the term for Evolutionary Development - http://www.ucevodevo.org/about/

Danger is, well what else could he be!? Moonbear has the best avatars IMO. I typed in my name on the fly, which of course will be out-of-date at some point--that's why I've mentioned maybe I should change it now. PF Addict, or maybe Burnout (in a BTU kind of way) OR a symbol for the member formally known as SOS. :-p

SOS2008 said:
Danger is, well what else could he be!?
Thanks, I think...

SOS2008 said:
Moonbear has the best avatars IMO.
I keep meaning to ask where she got that. The liquor store associated with the bar that I used to work at had that poster up behind the checkout, and I've always wanted a copy.

SOS2008 said:
I typed in my name on the fly, which of course will be out-of-date at some point--that's why I've mentioned maybe I should change it now.
If you just change it to SOS2?, you'll be good for 1,000 years. That kind of shelf-life ain't bad, all things considered.

BobG said:
Isn't Li'l Abner required reading in our education system? It should be. Li'l Abner and Peanuts are the two comic strips that have had the greatest impact on our culture. ...Errrgg. Now everyone knows where I find my "classic literature". :redface:
Excellent information! :smile:

This photo courtesy of Danger (sorry 'bout the distortion from enlarging the thumbnail), but this is being in the slime with swine:

http://img227.echo.cx/img227/3015/pigswim3ak.jpg

And some additional swine sayings for my signature collection:

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig enjoys it." - courtesy of MIH's momma

"You can't make sausages without breaking pigs." - courtesy of brenog

The signatures from Danger can't be posted. :-p :eek:

SOS2008 said:
The signatures from Danger can't be posted. :-p :eek:
You know, that actually makes them seem far more clever than they really are...

I never noticed before, but isn't you're second (appropriatley brown) signature by Jim Bakker?

Danger said:
I keep meaning to ask where she got that. The liquor store associated with the bar that I used to work at had that poster up behind the checkout, and I've always wanted a copy.

Someone posted it up on another site I visited and I swiped it to crop down to an avatar size photo. I've had a variety of avatars here, but I think I'm going to stick with this one. It feels right for me.

I was really disappointed recently to discover there is a such thing as an actual moonbear. At least it's a cute bear: a little black or dark brown bear with a white crescent-shaped collar. But that has nothing to do with where my name came from. :biggrin: There's a thread around somewhere about where people's usernames came from. Apparently I was too slow to respond, so they created a whole legend to explain it. :smile: Evo is short for Evil. :-p

Moonbear said:
Someone posted it up on another site I visited and I swiped it to crop down to an avatar size photo. I've had a variety of avatars here, but I think I'm going to stick with this one. It feels right for me.
No question about that; it's perfect.

Moonbear said:
There's a thread around somewhere about where people's usernames came from. Apparently I was too slow to respond, so they created a whole legend to explain it. :smile: Evo is short for Evil. :-p
If you could narrow that down a bit, I'd love to read it. I got the Evo thing from the Photo thread where she was explaining things to Marlon. The part I'm confused about is: did she name her daughter 'The Evo Child' as short for 'The Evil Child' and then usurped the name for herself, or did she refer to herself as evil first, and then pass it down to the next generation?

Moonbear said:
Thanks! I just spent 15 minutes reading that, and I'm only half done. And here I thought that 'Moonbear' had something to do with a ritual in the woods around a campfire.
Having read the first half does this mean... that I should dismantle that shrine I built to Evo before she finds out about it? :rolleyes:

Thank you Danger and SOS. I can't take the credit for it's cleverness myself though, I took it from Robert Anton Wilson's "Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy".
"So we keep the same instincts as our primate and pre-primate ancestors, but we superimpose culture and law on top of this. So we get split in two, dig? You might say, mankind is the statutory ape."

Zipperhead, from what I understand is a derogatory term used for Koreans. A Korean friend of mine uses it for a screenname.

I am going to create my own category.

The user Name which appears most often in a thread title.

Just look at the math forums. It in nearly always there in at least 1 thread.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I took it from Robert Anton Wilson's "Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy".
Ooohhh... I'll have to find me a copy of that. Still, you were clever enough to capitalize upon its existence.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Zipperhead, from what I understand is a derogatory term used for Koreans.
:eek: I'll never use it again! I swear, it doesn't mean that here. :redface:

Integral said:
It in nearly always there in at least 1 thread.
Could you repeat that in English? :-p

chroot said:
Dude, c'mon. chroot is the best username EVER. You guys have no idea how much competition I have for it!

- Warren
how does it soand? I mean the "ch"!

somy said:
how does it soand? I mean the "ch"!
Depends upon how much he's had to drink.

Danger said:
:eek: I'll never use it again! I swear, it doesn't mean that here. :redface:
But "floppy-heads" still means "Canadians", right? I can't promise I'll stop using that. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
But "floppy-heads" still means "Canadians", right? I can't promise I'll stop using that. :biggrin:
Since you're the only person who uses it, and since I seem to be the only Canuk who pays any attention to you, I can't see anyone being offended by it. :-p

''Zipperhead, from what I understand is a derogatory term used for Koreans''

Hey! :devil: