Which Program Can Help Analyze Distances Between Features in Images?

In summary, Fiji is a free and easy to use program which may not be as accurate when objects are at different depths.
ergospherical
I have taken some photos (with my phone) of some optical phenomena in the lab. I'd quite like to analyse the distances between some features of the image. In school I remember using a piece of software which allowed you to choose an origin point / setup coordinate axes, select a scale (i.e. 1 cm real life = x pixels) by using a reference length in the image, and then determine distances by clicking between points. Might anybody know what this program is (or a similar program that I could use)? Many thanks.

Likes jedishrfu
Computer science news on Phys.org
I was intrigued by your request so I did a little bit of web research and I found this. I have not used the kind of program you describe but I have used Google Sketchup extensively in the past (last time was about 10 years ago) and I think that the limited (but free) version will work for what you want to do. Of course you will have to know an actual calibration distance but that is always the case for programs of this sort. This method, however, may not be as accurate when you have objects at different depths.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes sysprog, jedishrfu, ergospherical and 1 other person
This might work, yes! The images are at normal incidence and aren't taken too close to the screen, so it should work alright.

It's one of those simple but mundane tasks which I could, in principle, do by hand, but at the cost of a good 20-or-so minutes of time and slightly reduced precision.

Likes jedishrfu
ergospherical said:
I have taken some photos (with my phone) of some optical phenomena in the lab. I'd quite like to analyse the distances between some features of the image. In school I remember using a piece of software which allowed you to choose an origin point / setup coordinate axes, select a scale (i.e. 1 cm real life = x pixels) by using a reference length in the image, and then determine distances by clicking between points. Might anybody know what this program is (or a similar program that I could use)? Many thanks.
Fiji, which used to be called ImageJ:

https://fiji.sc

It's free and easy to use. For your application, all you need is the basic installation.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and sysprog

1. What is an image analysis program?

An image analysis program is a software tool used to analyze images and extract information from them. It uses various algorithms and techniques to process and interpret visual data, allowing scientists and researchers to quantify and understand the features and patterns present in images.

2. What types of images can be analyzed with these programs?

Image analysis programs can be used to analyze various types of images, including photographs, microscope images, satellite images, and medical images, among others. They can also work with different file formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and DICOM.

3. How do image analysis programs work?

Image analysis programs work by first converting an image into a digital format, which is then processed using algorithms to identify and measure specific features or patterns. These programs can use different techniques such as edge detection, segmentation, and classification to analyze images and extract data.

4. What are the applications of image analysis programs?

Image analysis programs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including biology, medicine, geology, astronomy, and engineering. They can be used for tasks such as cell counting, particle tracking, object recognition, and measurements of structures or objects in an image.

5. Do I need programming skills to use image analysis programs?

Some image analysis programs require programming skills to use, while others have user-friendly interfaces that do not require any coding knowledge. It depends on the complexity of the analysis and the specific software being used. However, basic understanding of image processing concepts and techniques can be helpful in using these programs effectively.