Which SAS book for enterprise guide?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: I found this SAS Quick Start Guide that looks like it would be helpful.In summary, if you want to learn SAS programming, I think you should get an EGuide book and a base SAS book.
semidevil
My company has SAS enterprise guide 7.1 installed and I figured I want to take advantage to learn SAS programming.

Just browsing online, it appears that SAS Enterprise guide is a 'drag and drop' type software, but you can still have access to writing your own code...is that correct?

If so, is the syntax just like any other SAS software? Basically, I want to learn SAS, but I'm interested in the 'coding' aspect of it, what book should I get?

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't use Enterprise Guide much, but yes, you can drag and drop to add nodes to a tree. One of the node types you can create is a code node, which is just a Base SAS program. From what I hear you'll need to be able to program in Base SAS to get the most out of EGuide, but you will need to understand the other node types too.

I can't recommend a book I'm afraid. I learned Base SAS from my boss' code and I think I've told you everything I know about EGuide. :wink: There are a few other SAS users around who may be able to offer more suggestions - @DrDu and @andrewkirk off the top of my head.

Thanks! I think that makes sense. So to learn the basics of Eguide, I can get an EGuide book, but for the coding, I'll need to get a base SAS book?

Sorry, never used EGuide myself and don't know anything about it.

semidevil said:
I want to learn SAS, but I'm interested in the 'coding' aspect of it, what book should I get?
You sound like you have a coding background. If so you might find this set of SAS notes of some use. I made them on the fly as I was teaching myself SAS while doing a project in it. I have a background in coding so I found all the internet introductions much too verbose and time-consuming to use, since they are aimed at non-coders.
It's scrappy and extremely incomplete but, like with most software, once you get the general lie of the land, it becomes easy to quickly find any additional info by internet search, which is usually about just finding out the right keyword for an operation.
While looking for that doc, I also found this doc in my directories. I can't remember where I got it, but it looks like it has useful introductory info that would complement the above.

1. What is the best SAS book for learning enterprise guide?

There are many excellent SAS books available for learning enterprise guide, but some popular choices among users include "The Little SAS Book for Enterprise Guide" by Susan Slaughter and Lora Delwiche, "SAS for Dummies" by Stephen McDaniel and Chris Hemedinger, and "SAS Enterprise Guide: A Tutorial Approach" by Neil Constable.

2. Which SAS book for enterprise guide is best for beginners?

If you are new to SAS and enterprise guide, "SAS for Dummies" is a great choice for beginners. It provides a comprehensive overview of the software and its features in an easy-to-understand format.

3. Is there a SAS book specifically for advanced users of enterprise guide?

Yes, there are several SAS books that cater to advanced users of enterprise guide. Some popular options include "Mastering the SAS Enterprise Guide" by Neil Constable and "SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1: Fast Track to Data Analysis" by Kevin Davidson.

4. Are there any SAS books that focus on specific industries or applications for enterprise guide?

Yes, there are a few SAS books that focus on specific industries or applications for enterprise guide. Some examples include "SAS Programming in the Pharmaceutical Industry" by Jack Shostak and "SAS for Mixed Models" by Ramon C. Littell and George A. Milliken.

5. Can I find free resources or tutorials online instead of purchasing a SAS book for enterprise guide?

Yes, there are many free resources and tutorials available online for learning enterprise guide, including the SAS website, YouTube tutorials, and blogs from experienced users. However, a comprehensive SAS book can provide a more structured and in-depth learning experience.