Which solution is correct (Tension)

• Thread starter SheldonG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves a cable car system with three cars being pulled by drag cables at 35 degrees above the horizontal. Each car weighs 2800 kg and is being accelerated at 0.81 m/s/s. The task is to find the difference between the tensions in the two cables that connect to the middle car. Two solutions are presented, with the second one being correct due to the inclusion of the normal force component in the first solution.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

A section of a cable car system, showing three cars. They are being pulled by drag cables at 35 degrees above the horizontal. Each car weighs 2800 kg. The are all being accelerated at the same rate of 0.81 m/s/s. The problem asks for the difference between the tensions in the two cables that connect to the middle car.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1:

I started by writing the force equations in X and Y:

Fy = ma sin 35 = T sin 35 - mg
Fx = ma cos 35 = T2 cos 35 - T1 cos 35

Obviously, I don't need the Fy equation at all, since the cos 35 drops out and I have:

ma = T2- T1

Then I thought to try solving it by having the X axis along the 35 degree line of the cables. This gives me:

Fx = ma = T1 - mg sin 35 - T2

with T1 - T2 = m(a + g sin 35)

They both give very different results, and both seem reasonable to me. I have no idea which one is correct or why. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sheldon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SheldonG,

This one is correct:

SheldonG said:
Then I thought to try solving it by having the X axis along the 35 degree line of the cables. This gives me:

Fx = ma = T1 - mg sin 35 - T2

with T1 - T2 = m(a + g sin 35)

The reason the first one is not correct is that there is a normal force on the cable car, perpendicular to the cable. With your axes chosen as they were in method 1, the components of this force would need to be included. But for method 2, the normal force had not component along the cable, so it was not needed.

Many thanks!

1. What is tension and how is it measured?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both forces that act on an object, but they act in opposite directions. Tension pulls an object apart, while compression pushes an object together.

3. What factors affect the tension of an object?

The tension of an object is affected by the amount of force applied, the distance between the two points where the force is applied, and the properties of the material the object is made of.

4. How can tension be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object being pulled.

5. What are some real-world applications of tension?

Tension is used in many structures and machines, such as bridges, cranes, and elevators. It is also important in sports, such as rock climbing and gymnastics, where tension is used to support and move the body. In music, tension is used to create different sounds on string instruments like guitars and violins.