1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which species of Fe are considered dissolved Fe?

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question tells me that all dissolved iron species will have an activity of 0.1M. So is Fe(OH)42- considered a dissolved species of Fe, and if so, it will have an activity of 0.1M?

2. Relevant equations

N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution

I want to say that it is not considered as such, but the fact that it is an ion troubles me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't sound correct to me, can you post entire question?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    It's an assumption so that I can draw a simplified Eh-Ph diagram. It is not meant to be generally correct I believe.

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Every water solution containing iron ions will also have many equilibria present, with numerous products of Fe(II) and Fe(III) reactions with water. You can assume activity of the main (dominating) form present in the solution to be 0.1 M, or you can assume sum of all forms present to be 0.1 M (it will be just a mass balance then), but in neither case activities of other forms will be 0.1 M.

Chances are this is just a lousy wording and there is a viable idea behind the statement, but without the context I can't see it.

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    I asked my Prof. It does not have an activity of 0.1M. Thanks for your help Borek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted