Which SUNY schools are best for transferring to for a Ph.D in Physics?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying physics at a community college and plans on transferring to a SUNY school to save money. They are unsure if a SUNY school will be good enough for graduate school, but their professor attended SUNY and then MIT for her PhD. Stony Brook, Albany, and Buffalo are mentioned as decent options for undergraduate physics programs, with Stony Brook being the most well-known. The speaker is considering applying to Stony Brook and UAlbany, but would like to know of other good schools to apply to.
aglo6509
So I'm studying at a community college majoring in Physics. My ultimate goal is to get my Ph.D in physics (not quite sure yet in what field), but I plan on transferring to a SUNY (State University of New York) school to cut out some expensives. My question is however would a SUNY school be a good enough school for a graduate school to accept me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

I don't know if it has any bearing on your situation, but my current Physics professor attended SUNY followed by MIT for her PhD.

Of the SUNY campuses, Stony Brook is the best known for physics and other physical sciences. Albany and Buffalo also have decent undergraduate physics programs, although probably not with as big a variety of research as Stony Brook.

Which Suny schools should I try and apply for after i graduate from my community college? I was thinking Stony Brook and UAlbany, what are some other good schools?

What is the process for transferring to a SUNY school?

The process for transferring to a SUNY school varies depending on the specific institution and your individual circumstances. Generally, it involves filling out an application, providing transcripts from your current college, and possibly submitting letters of recommendation. It is important to research the transfer requirements for the specific SUNY school you are interested in.

Can I transfer credits from my current college to a SUNY school?

Yes, SUNY schools typically accept transfer credits from other accredited colleges and universities. However, the amount of credits that can be transferred may vary and is ultimately determined by the receiving institution. It is important to check with the specific SUNY school you are interested in to see their transfer credit policies.

Are there any specific requirements or deadlines for transferring to a SUNY school?

Each SUNY school sets its own requirements and deadlines for transfer students. Some schools may have specific GPA requirements or prerequisite courses that must be completed before transferring. It is important to research and meet all of the requirements and deadlines for the specific SUNY school you are interested in.

Do I need to submit SAT or ACT scores when transferring to a SUNY school?

In most cases, transfer students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores. However, some SUNY schools may require them for certain majors or programs. It is important to check with the specific SUNY school you are interested in to see their testing requirements for transfer students.

Are there any resources or support available for transfer students at SUNY schools?

Yes, SUNY schools typically have resources and support systems in place for transfer students. This may include transfer orientation programs, academic advising, and transfer student organizations. It is important to reach out to the admissions office or transfer services office at the specific SUNY school you are interested in to learn about the resources available for transfer students.