1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which table will be more difficult to tilt? ~ PLEASE HELP ?

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    Which table will be more difficult to tilt? ~ PLEASE HELP!!!!!?

Hi, i'm very confused to answer this question, please somebody help. I need an exact scientific reason as well. The question goes like:
    There are three tables of different shapes: triangular, rectangular and circular. Which one will be more difficult to tilt? and WHY?

I guess it has some relation with the center of gravity or center of mass. Can anyone please clear the concept and help me to answer this question. Thanks a lot in advance....please!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    Re: Which table will be more difficult to tilt? ~ PLEASE HELP!!!!!?

On the top of my head, it depends on their respective sizes, thicknesses, height, weight, number of legs, exact position of legs, size and shape of legs. It also depend on which direction you plan to tilt.

But assuming everything is rather similar, I'd choose the triangular one as the easiest to tip over, if you push directly on a corner. That way, only the weight of one leg has to leave the ground.

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    Re: Which table will be more difficult to tilt? ~ PLEASE HELP!!!!!?

It would help if you were a bit more specific in your question. If you mean which table is most likely to rock, then I would say a table with a circular base. If there were any irregularities in the floor that it is on it would rock. The most stable would be the three legged one since three points define a plane and no matter how irregular the floor was it would have all three legs in contact with the floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?