Which Tap is Best for 303 Stainless Steel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
Agrean
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agrean said:
Hello friends.
First, I apologize for my bad English. I need your experience. I want to produce a piece, but I have a problem with tapping. The material is 303 stainless steel. I need a M2 tapping to this part. Approximately 200-300 pieces of M2 tapping will be made. For 303 stainless steel which tap do you recommend? How many mm drill and speed / feed do you recommend?
Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.
 
berkeman said:
Are your taps wearing out earlier than expected? I do not see the issue with using a standard tap for this application.
I haven't tried it yet. So you're saying cheap HSS taps would be enough? Example this?
Screenshot_20190520_020638.jpg
 
I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...
 
berkeman said:
I don't use cheap taps. Why would you? Especially if you are planning on tapping many holes...
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Agrean said:
Is there a tap you can recommend?
<< Spam links deleted >>
I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: anorlunda
berkeman said:
I have a feeling that this has been a spam setup thread, and I bit the bait. Just buy normal quality taps from your local supply store.
I don't spam Sorry for upload pics. I am from Turkey and there is all local supply say don't have M2 tap. If you can give me brand or tap link I would be happy. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
I suspect the SS is work hardening.
In my experience of drilling stainless, slow speed and heaps of pressure, together with good lubrication/cooling, are the answer
Always use a slow rpm and a heavy feed rate. If at all possible flatten the point of the drill out more than the standard angle. Every thing that is hard to drill: use a wider point; every thing soft then a sharper point on the drill. Use mucho coolant.DON"T STOP until you the through or at your stopping point. It you stop, it'll harden and getting started again will be difficult.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jrmichler
What @Ranger Mike said, plus make the tap drill slightly larger. Most tap drills are sized to make a hole that results in (I think) 75% thread depth. I did some tests once with larger tap drills to get 50% thread depth and found no decrease in strength. Those tests were to help out the machine shop with a similar problem - tapping small deep holes in hard to tap material.
 
When threading stainless steel you should use “Cobalt High Speed Steel” drills and taps. CoHSS.
It comes in two common grades, M35 and M42.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_steel#Cobalt_High_Speed_Steels_(HSS)
CoHSS tools are expensive, but it is often the only way to cut such a small thread. You may be able to buy a spiral tap in CoHSS.
Avoid spiral thread-flow taps that do not cut, they deform malleable materials.

Google 'cobalt M2x0.4 spiral tap' or search ebay
 
Last edited: