1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which text books would you recommend?

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    For any mathematician or physicist, what textbooks do you consider a must read?

Also, what books do you remember reading that gave you great insight into a topic which you previously did not have?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi, and welcome to the forum. this is theoretically a good question, but from a practical standpoint its too general. please check the thread on recommended books, and then make a more precise question. you will get better answers. i know you don't mean it this way, but this question cannot be answered unless the answerer does more work on it than you yourself have done in asking it. that isn't workable. also read my who wants to be a math... thread for a huge list of recommended books.

best wishes

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply Mathwonk.

I know that this thread is very general, but I hope for replies with books on many different topics.

Also, I have read your How to be a Mathematician thread several times over.

I hoped for people to post just a few of the books that they really thought were great books regardless of the specific topic. I understand this is a very general question, but I intended for it to be, just to see what people had to say.

5. May 25, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well maybe if each person just posts one book it could work.

I would post one but it would be repetitive.

6. May 25, 2012 #5
    It's hard to narrow it down but my three favorite textbooks (at this moment) are Taylor Classical Mechanics, Sakurai Quantum Mechanics and Ross Differential equations (this is a great LD diff eq book).

I found all of those insightful and good reads.

7. May 25, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Spivak's calculus is a wonderful book.

8. May 26, 2012 #7
    At advanced level there can be many but at more basic level I would recommend landau-lifgarbagez volumes 1 and 2, and whittaker-watson modern analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook