Which of these books would you recommend for LQG?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cpsinkule
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Lqg
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the first one, because it gives a wider perspective. Later you may also want to read the second one, because it presents more recent results. But both books are good, so you will not make a mistake by choosing any of them.
 
Demystifier said:
I would start with the first one, because it gives a wider perspective. Later you may also want to read the second one, because it presents more recent results. But both books are good, so you will not make a mistake by choosing any of them.
If you had to pick between those two and Hawking\Gibbons "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" which two would you pick at this moment? I can only afford two and I'm not quite sure the best combination. I was, as well, leaning toward the first I listed along with Hawking\Gibbons
 
cpsinkule said:
If you had to pick between those two and Hawking\Gibbons "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" which two would you pick at this moment? I can only afford two and I'm not quite sure the best combination. I was, as well, leaning toward the first I listed along with Hawking\Gibbons
Hawking/Gibbons is not really a book in the usual sense. It is a collection of not directly connected scientific papers previously published elsewhere. Also they are not about LQG. I would not recommend it.

If your goal is to learn LQG, perhaps the best start is Gambini/Pullin:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199590753/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator: