Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of these books would you recommend for LQG?

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I would start with the first one, because it gives a wider perspective. Later you may also want to read the second one, because it presents more recent results. But both books are good, so you will not make a mistake by choosing any of them.

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    If you had to pick between those two and Hawking\Gibbons "Euclidean Quantum Gravity" which two would you pick at this moment? I can only afford two and I'm not quite sure the best combination. I was, as well, leaning toward the first I listed along with Hawking\Gibbons

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Hawking/Gibbons is not really a book in the usual sense. It is a collection of not directly connected scientific papers previously published elsewhere. Also they are not about LQG. I would not recommend it.

If your goal is to learn LQG, perhaps the best start is Gambini/Pullin:
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Course-Loop-Quantum-Gravity/dp/0199590753

6. Jul 16, 2015 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

I'd go for the second one. It is well written and I found it more accesible (as a LQG-outsider) than the first one.

7. Jul 16, 2015 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook