Which University Should I Choose for Astronomy: Kansas or Hawaii?

  • Thread starter Thread starter striky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    School
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
striky
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Need help to choose school - URGENT

I'm a foreigner and currently looking forward to attend an institution in the United States as a transfer student to obtain a bachelor in Astronomy.

I got accepted to 3 universities. The thing is I'm not quite sure between 2 institutions: University of Kansas and University of Hawaii at Hilo

Both schools have a great astronomy program and both have its' cons. Though University of Kansas has an established astronomy program, they don't have their own observatory. From online reading, the skies are at Hawaii are great for stargazing which explains why they have a number of observatories. However, the astronomy program is quite new relative to University of Kansas.

Thus, I'm stuck. Both have great program. One with no observatory and another one is a new program.

My aim for my undergraduate degree is to get the best exposure to astronomy due to lack of exposure in my country and the best education to prepare me for graduate school. Since I'm a transfer student from abroad, I can't afford to switch schools there.

Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated. (>_<)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I'm inclined towards Hawaii myself, though I've never actually been to their campus (but I've had a couple friends go there for their graduate Astro studies). Socially, I would imagine that Hawaii would have a more international flair than Kansas, and that might appeal to you.

I've visited Lawrence, Kansas a few times: it's a charming, but small, town. If you're from a large metropolitan area, then Kansas may not appeal to you. However, Kansas is MUCH more affordable than Hawaii--significantly more, in fact. You wouldn't have trouble affording an apartment within walking distance of campus, for example.