Which university should I choose? (Ontario)

• Schools
  • Thread starter crazycat23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the person is deciding between the University of Waterloo and the University of Toronto for a General Mathematics program. They have talked to people from both universities but want to hear from those who have completed the program. Their main concerns are which university will lead to a better future and the difficulty jump from high school to first year. They mention their grades in advanced math courses and wonder how they would fare at either university. They also mention the factor of living closer to Toronto and receiving more scholarships there. They prefer Waterloo's atmosphere but are open to both universities. They also mention preparing for the Euclid Contest in April. Another high school student shares their personal preference for UofT and mentions the math curriculum. Ultimately, both universities are considered great
crazycat23
So, I have to decide soon for which univeristy I'm going to attend for Fall 2010. Right now, my choice has been narrowed down to Waterloo and Toronto for their General Mathematics programs (General math co-op for UW). I have talked to people from both univeristies, but I want to hear the real story from those who might have gone to these institutions and actually are completeing/completed the program. Here are some of my main concerns...

Which one would lead me to a better future? A lot of people tell me that most people look to waterloo for math undergrads over any other univeristy. Is this true, or would I benefit the same amount attending Toronto?

How is the difficulty jump from secondary school to first year? I got a 97% in Advanced Functions and I currently have a 95% in Calculus/Vectors (i'm expecting it to go up a little though :) ), and I got 100% in Data Management (if it matters). Assuming I at least maintain the effort I put into the work, how would I fare at either Univeristy?

Another factor: I live closer to Toronto, and they have offered me $8k total in scholarships. Waterloo has offered me nothing yet, except for the $2k entrance scholarship, and I would have to live on residence too, so that option is much more pricy.However, I do like Waterloo's atmosphere more than Toronto's.

These are the main things that are floating around in my mind now. Any advice would be appreciated. : )

ALSO: I'm going to be writing the Euclid Contest in April, so if anyone here has written it and has some advice for preparing, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I am a high school student too. I applied to both schools as well, but I am personally leaning towards UofT, bu that's probably because I want to do Math/Physics. Bottom line is they both appeal to me and I personally think that for math they both are great schools.(By the way the Math Curriculum sucks. I don't know your background but some advanced reading could be to your benefit. Especially for these 2 schools).

1. What are the top universities in Ontario?

The top universities in Ontario are generally considered to be the University of Toronto, McMaster University, Western University, Queen's University, and the University of Waterloo.

2. How do I know which university is the best fit for me?

The best way to determine which university is the best fit for you is to research and visit each campus, consider the programs and courses offered, the campus culture, and any other factors that are important to you. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the university.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a university in Ontario?

Some factors to consider when choosing a university in Ontario include the programs and courses offered, location, campus culture, cost and financial aid, research opportunities, and overall reputation of the university.

4. Are there any differences in the quality of education between universities in Ontario?

All universities in Ontario must meet certain standards set by the provincial government, so the quality of education should not vary significantly between universities. However, some universities may have a stronger reputation in certain fields or have more resources for specific programs.

5. Can I transfer between universities in Ontario?

It is possible to transfer between universities in Ontario, but it is important to check with the specific universities for their transfer policies and requirements. Some universities may have transfer agreements or pathways with other institutions, while others may have more strict requirements for transferring.