Which University Should I choose?

• Schools
  • Thread starter apples
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary,The university an applicant is accepted to may have a major impact on the applicant's choice of major. Financial aid is a major factor in college choice, and four-year universities in the United States generally offer more financial aid than two-year colleges. All of the schools listed offer some type of financial aid, though some may offer more than others. All of the schools have fixed tuition rates for the first four years of study, and some may have additional discounts available for students who are residents of the state in which the school is located.

Which University

• Georgia Institute of Technology

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rensselaer Polytechnic Institue

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • University of Wisconsin, Madison

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Pennsylvania State University, University park

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Purdue University, West Lafayette

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • University of California, San Diego

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • University of California, Santa Barbara

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • University of California, Davis

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
apples
Here is a list of the university I am admitted in. I am interested in Engineering, but am not sure, maybe I would want to do something else. Financial aid is a major point since my EFC is $948.00.

GaTech is only giving a Pell Grant. That's it
RHIT is giving a $15000 scholarship. Other than that I'm getting around 6000 as federal grants
RPI is giving the same as above.
UCSB same as above
Purdue 10,000 as scholarship then 6000 as grants
UCSD same as above
WPI 18,000 as scholarship, 6000 as grants.I am not a resident. But I have an attraction that for the UC's, i'll be a resident after 2 yrs. For Georgia Tech, after 1 year.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't really given much info to help someone advise you! You say financial aid is a major point; have you been offered financial aid by any of these universities?

If you don't really know what you want to do go to a big school where there are plenty of choices. I don't know if you could go wrong with any on that list.

I'll mentioned that the Georgia school system has fixed tuition for your first 4 years. So, you won't have to worry about paying $2000 more than you paid the year before or anything like that. Fees and housing costs may go up, of course, but that will happen anywhere.

Also, it's awesome here (at GT).

I go to UW-madison, the engineering students here don't seem very happy with the education they are getting(at least in EE)

University of California fees are going up, in case you're wondering. Both tuition and housing are getting more expensive as the state continues to cut funding.

Have you visited any of those schools? that is one way to cross some off the list. I know it can be expensive to do so especially with choice of schools across the nation, however if the first time you see the school is your freshmen orientation and you then find that you don't like campus or that the surrounding town has nothing to offer you... you are in quite a bad position. You should attend somewhere you feel comfortable at, somewhere you can see yourself enjoying life for 4 years.

I can tell you I really enjoyed the campus and surrounding atmosphere of UCSD. La Jolla shores is a beautiful part of town and I really enjoy San Diego in general. Where as I did not like Purdue's campus or town. I ended up at my school because I fell in love with the atmosphere it gave me when I visited

DavidWhitbeck said:
I don't know if you could go wrong with any on that list.

I would have said you can go wrong with at least one on that list. :rolleyes:

Ha!
Well, I've hear about unhappy UW-M Engineering students. Purdue, Rose-Hulman, GTech, RPI, WPI will limit me.
(BTW I also got in UC Davis and Irvine, but there wasn't any space in the polls). UCSB isn't my place, it has no diversity, only rich white kids (no offense to anyone).

UCSD I think is my place.
Anyone from UCSD, can I get in contact with you? mgiddy911?

I am not from UCSD, nor am I even from California.
I actually go to Loyola in Chicago
UCSD is on my list of possible Grad Schools

I visited the campus while on spring break with a friend and really liked it. I loved the city of San Diego and the SoCal feel in general. The campus is large which I like. It is pretty in and of itself but also situated in a very pretty area of town north of downtown along the coast called La Jolla (where Dr. Seuss lived or was from).

Feel free to ask anything else and I can answer to the best of my knowledge, anything about the college selection process is fair game.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university include the location, academic programs offered, cost of attendance, campus culture, and extracurricular activities.

2. How do I know which university has a good reputation?

You can research a university's reputation by looking at college rankings, reviews from current and former students, and the success of alumni in their respective fields.

3. Is it better to attend a prestigious university or one that offers the program I am interested in?

This depends on your individual goals and priorities. Attending a prestigious university may provide networking opportunities and a strong brand name, but it's important to also consider if the program aligns with your career aspirations.

4. Should I visit the campus before making a decision?

Ideally, it is recommended to visit the campus before making a decision to get a feel for the environment, talk to current students and faculty, and see if it is a good fit for you.

5. How do I know if I can afford a particular university?

You can research the cost of attendance, including tuition, room and board, and other fees, to determine if a university is affordable for you. You can also look into scholarships, grants, and financial aid options that may be available to help with the cost.