Which way detector (hardware) information

• Thread starter DarioC
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am still searching the net for information on the actual hardware used for the which way detector(s) in the double slit experiment(s), and descriptions of the experiments as really performed in the real world. I am NOT referring to the "screen" at the pathway termination used to detect the interference pattern. I am thinking in terms of photons, but anything would be helpful at this point.

Thus far I have tracked down about 20 papers with "thought" experiments. No help there.

The only one close that I have found so far is the "recent" Italian experiment that uses a TEM, but no detectors as such.

Be back later to check. Thanks.

DC

Answers and Replies

I am still searching the net for information on the actual hardware used for the which way detector(s) in the double slit experiment(s), and descriptions of the experiments as really performed in the real world. I am NOT referring to the "screen" at the pathway termination used to detect the interference pattern. I am thinking in terms of photons, but anything would be helpful at this point.

Thus far I have tracked down about 20 papers with "thought" experiments. No help there.

The only one close that I have found so far is the "recent" Italian experiment that uses a TEM, but no detectors as such.

Be back later to check. Thanks.

DC
Entangled photon apparatus for the undergraduate laboratory

avalanche photodiodes

arxiv search for single photon avalanche photodiode in the abstract

arxiv search for single photon detection in the abstract

Momentum kicks due to quantum localization

Avalanche photodiodes and quenching circuits for single-photon detection

http://www.pacer.co.uk/jkcm/Products/Categories/Detectors/Photon+Counting+Modules?referrer=AZOOPTICS [Broken]

http://www.boselec.com/products/documents/idQproductlineoverview.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked at just a few of each list of suggested links, and thus far I have a 100% sample of the information that, while really good reading on detectors in general, it is obvious that any one of these photon detectors would intercept all of the energy of any photon that struck it. That would certainly stop the interference.

What I am looking for is information on the type of "detector" that will detect the passage of a photon, but allow it to go on it's way, however changed, if changed, to strike the scintillating screen or other strike position recording device.

That is to say that strike recording type detectors block the photon and will not work for the interference negation experiment.

If, in fact I am barking up the wrong tree, so to speak, and the experiment is not or was not done with such a device, someone please advise me so.

I will check the remainder of the links, looks like pretty good reading. Thanks.

DC

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Came out good Thomas; I passed one of your links on to answer a gentleman's question in another thread here in addition to them all being informative for me.
DC
Edit: "Momentum Kicks" has some goodies in it.

Last edited: