1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

White vs. Black Women's Stereotype Experiences in STEM

1. Dec 21, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2014 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

An interesting article indeed, and I am surprised that African-American women were less likely to associate STEM professionals with men, and that African-American men were less likely to assume that STEM fields were more masculine (especially in light of the fact that, at least according to the surveys of college/university students that I'm familiar with, African-Americans are underrepresented in STEM studies). I'm curious to see how this would be reflected in the breakdown of African-American students in STEM on college/university campuses.

4. Dec 22, 2014 #3
    ...but do they actually tend to graduate more women in STEM fields than men? About one in ten engineers I work with are women. And about one in 8 of them are black (I have known two or three in my career). Given the quantization effects, that doesn't make for much of a trend. I wonder what the sample size was

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook