Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who else is on summer break and already bored?

1. May 24, 2015 #1

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Here I am 1 week into my summer vacation. Many students are overjoyed to be done with school for the next 3-4 months. Me? I'm just getting bored. During finals week I was so ready for break to get here, and after a week I'm finding myself doing little more than listlessly scrolling through Facebook.

Sounds like it's time to start doing some self-study.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I got a car needs washin'.

Car's in the drive, pail & faucet in the back.

Third St. Toronto. Canada.

Gate's unlocked. No need to wake me.

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    How can you be bored when you have PF? :)

5. May 24, 2015 #4

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Sounds like a plan. I charge $30/hr, plus a flat rate of $1000 to cover my transportation costs from Illinois to Toronto.

A fair point. Maybe it's time for me to start getting a post together for the Insights. ;)

I was considering doing some kind of series of posts for the Insights blog throughout my internship at Fermilab this summer. Just some kind of general "this is why you should get an internship" kind of topic covering the general internship experience and the research I'm doing.

6. May 24, 2015 #5
    oh now we're talking! :)

The internship experience would be a huge hit!

7. May 24, 2015 #6

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I think so. I know I have had a lot of questions (and still do) about what exactly an undergraduate internship like this entails. Throughout my time here at PF I've seen several people start threads with topics along these lines, so hopefully it could provide some useful information.

I'm arriving there on the 30th, so I'd likely have the first installment done a week or so after that.

8. May 24, 2015 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hey, you said you were bored, not broke. :biggrin:

9. May 24, 2015 #8

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I'm a work-study, so school being out means that I'm also broke.

I accept PayPal. Send as a gift so we can avoid PayPal fees, if you don't mind.

10. May 25, 2015 #9

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Curt, oh, Curt. One day you will no longer have entire summers off of school or work. And on that day, I will find this thread, and send it to you. :rolleyes:

11. May 25, 2015 #10

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Yes, I suppose this is quite true. I've actually never really had entire summers off though. This is my first summer without any classes since I started college. I've had at least two classes the previous two summers. It's a bit weird not having school work for once. I'm ready to start my internship next week. I think that'll alleviate my boredom.

12. May 25, 2015 #11

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think it will. So, in the meantime, relax for a bit. Go for a walk! Catch up on TV. Do whatever you do as a hobby.

Students these days.
    *shakes cane*

13. May 25, 2015 #12

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I actually did earlier! I went and played a couple rounds of frisbee golf with some friends, then went for a short hike. I spent most of my hike thinking about neutrino oscillations and neutrino beam generation too, so it was a productive afternoon. :smile:

ETA - Your cane shaking skills are quite on point. You've been practicing lately, haven't you? :-p

14. May 25, 2015 #13

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you're looking for something to do, you should work out the survival probability of a neutrino in neutrino oscillations for the case of two neutrinos (if you've not done it before), three if you're feeling brave. I can even give you a problem sheet. :-p

^ This is the PF version of "if you're bored, I have chores for you" from parents.

Every day.

15. May 25, 2015 #14

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Last summers I always got bored. But this summer I'm going to read Schwartz's QFT and standard model. Also I've left some parts of the Padmanabhan's Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers, unread. I should read those too. Then if I do good, I may move to Mukhanov's Introduction to quantum effects in gravity. I also want to further my skills in programming. So I have much to do and no time to get bored!

16. May 25, 2015 #15

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I'm feeling brave. I feel like it would be in my best interest to take on such a chore since I haven't done this yet. So far I haven't actually done anything quantitative pertaining to neutrino oscillations. I'm currently reading through some papers on neutrino mixing and the PMNS matrix and such, so it would fall right in line with what I'm currently doing. If you've got a problem sheet, bring it on. :wink:

17. May 25, 2015 #16

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Physics undergraduates usually do research over the summer; you could look into that if it's not too late. It certainly has kept me busy the past two summers and will probably keep me busy this summer as well. Throw in a reading project and you'll be pretty much occupied the entire summer.

If I still feel bored I usually just try to learn some music theory. But the Eastern Gravity Meeting is coming up so I won't be bored for a while haha.

18. May 25, 2015 #17

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Check your inbox. I've given you the two neutrino case, you can generalise to the third from there. :)

19. May 25, 2015 #18

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I've got that part covered already. I'm starting an internship at Fermilab in about a week, and I'm doing a more thorough self study of K&K's Introduction to Mechanics as well as a bit of a self study of coding in Python. I haven't started digging into them too much yet, but I think I'm going to spend a good chunk of tomorrow on K&K.

20. May 25, 2015 #19

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Excellent! I'll give it a look now. It's going on 3 am here in my neck of the woods though, so it's going to be a quick look for tonight. Thanks!

21. May 25, 2015 #20

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

That sounds like a fun and occupying plan to me! I don't think I'm going to be doing any work tomorrow myself haha. I'm just going to play guitar the entire day and listen to Pink Floyd until I get hungry :p

If you're really bored check out: https://www.amazon.com/200-Puzzling...sr=8-1&keywords=200+puzzling+physics+problems

There are some really fun problems in there to solve if you're bored at 4am and can't sleep (like right now).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook