Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who ever said kids don't read enough these days?

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

People need to encourage their kids to read more. This is ridiculous. Whether you're a fan or not, by the time you're a teenager you should have at least heard of the Narnia books. Check my signature for the quote:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, I can't see your sig, so...

4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    I HATED reading as a kid. I would rather have done anything else -All the way up until high school.

5. Dec 21, 2007 #4
    yea i hated reading to .the only thing i read was dads girly mags .i was spanked when i got caught. now i dont read any thing unless its on the computer .

6. Dec 21, 2007 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why? I don't think there's anything really special about the Narnia books. I didn't like the Narnia books when I read it. Loved the Dark Materials trilogy though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  7. Dec 22, 2007 #6
    i hadn't heard of any of c.s. lewis's trash by the time i was a teenager but i had read all of dostoevsky's books

8. Dec 22, 2007 #7
    Well, on the surface it does look pretty bad, but give the kid some credit. Maybe he's just not well-versed in Lewis and other authors of that genre. When I was a kid I read a lot, but almost every book I read was about physics, biology, or astronomy. In retrospect I wish I'd read C.S. Lewis (the upside is that I get to read all his books for the first time...when I get arund to it). But to be fair, I as a highly literate ten year old would have had no idea who C.S. Lewis is.

9. Dec 22, 2007 #8
    Similar here. I didn't read all of Dostoevsky, but I did read 'Crime and Punishment', 'The Idiot', and 'The Brothers Karamazov' as a teenager and never heard of Narnia until I was in my 50s when the movie came out. I can't say if Lewis' writing is trash though as I have not read any of his books.

10. Dec 22, 2007 #9
    it's christian propaganda

11. Dec 22, 2007 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O.K. This is a good point, but still. Who assumes that the book's are made from movies? Or that they are written together? Does that ever happen? As far as I see it, this kid should at least have the common sense to see that the book is usually made before the movie.

12. Dec 22, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm in the middle of the Dark Materials Trilogy myself. I'm really enjoying it. Can't believe I didn't read it before this. I don't think the movie did the first book justice though.

13. Dec 22, 2007 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Lewis is a good writer, but his books are definitely Christian allegory. So, if that bothers you, you may not enjoy the books. When I did read the books, I didn't think the allegory would be something children could pick up on. I think I didn't see the allegory until I reread them as an adult.

14. Dec 22, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I loved to read as a kid, and when I was 10, my parents bought a big old ramshackle place from a widower. A walk-in closet just big enough to hold a dresser and a bed became my bedroom, and that closet had a little alcove that wrapped over the stair-well, and it was full of books. Not just any books, but classics by Dickens, Twain, Verne, Hawthorn, Melville, etc. The books came from some kind of "classic" book club and were bound similarly. It took me years to get through them all.

15. Dec 22, 2007 #14
    As in the books chalk full of Christian symbolism and apologetics? You might as well stuff Mere Christianity in their face. :tongue2:

Thank goodness for His Dark Materials, no propaganda there, except analogies and symbolism with the Magisterium, the rejection of religion by the characters and the killing of the The Authority's Regent, and the Authority himself.

16. Dec 22, 2007 #15
    Well...again just to be fair, sometimes books do come out alongside movies. They did it with a few of the recent Star Trek movies. And often times, many movies will also have a novelization that comes out along with the film. For whatever reason I've had "The Cable Guy" in my bookshelf (haven't read it, don't plan to) for over ten years. Can't remember where/why I got it...

Same here. I remember one summer after first grade, I was in a summer school, and they showed us the cartoon version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I didn't pick up the Biblical allusions either. Granted, at the time I hadn't read the Bible (I don't think I even knew what it was), so this isn't surprising. But it was funny when a couple years ago I saw the film and immediately had an "oh yeah!" moment.

17. Dec 22, 2007 #16
    Well, I'm not sure about that. I'd say that this series of books is essentially atheist propaganda. Of course now we're getting into the issue of whether we should be using the term "propaganda" in the perjorative sense of the word. Is there really anything wrong with propagating one's worldview by means of allegory?

18. Dec 22, 2007 #17
    Note that I was trying to be sarcastic. It is obvious that the series have some critique of religion embedded in them. I am all for propagating one's world view in one's writing.

19. Dec 22, 2007 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

"The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" was one of my favorite books as a child. And you're right G01, it's just a story to a child, unless they are intentionally told there is some hidden meaning, they aren't going to think of it as anything more than a story.

20. Dec 22, 2007 #19
    I never liked reading. Still don't. The only times I read actual books are when Im on an airplane and when it's for a class. I do enjoy it most of the time, but it's not something I would do in my free time.

21. Dec 22, 2007 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I loved the story but did not know it was an allegory until adulthood. Big deal. So is The Matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?