Who First Described the Phenomenon of Resonance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lilcupcake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Harmonic Resonance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
lilcupcake
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'm researching theory, resonance.
All I found was resonance as the name of phenomena although I need to figure out who and when it was advocated. Does anyone know when resonance was advocated by whom?
I found the term harmonic resonance. Can anyone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please be more specific about what you're looking for.
 
lilcupcake said:
I'm researching theory, resonance.

From the Wikipedia entry on Resonance:

"In physics, resonance is the tendency of a system to absorb more energy when the frequency of the oscillations matches the system's natural frequency of vibration (its resonant frequency) than it does at other frequencies."

All I found was resonance as the name of phenomena although I need to figure out who and when it was advocated. Does anyone know when resonance was advocated by whom?

I'm not sure of what you are looking for. Resonance isn't something that is advocated, it is something that is observed to happen. Asking who advocated resonance is like asking who advocated gravity. Both phenomena exist whether anyone agrees with them or not.

I found the term harmonic resonance. Can anyone help me?

I had not heard of harmonic resonance before, so I Googled it. I found several different types of websites, some of which were pure quackery. Can you be specific about what it is that you found?

Also, was there any special reason you posted this thread in the Metaphysics and Epistemology Forum?