Who have wone nobel prizes or discovered many theories

• Thread starter matthieulabelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary: Many well regarded physicist, who have wone nobel prizes or discovered many theories, never got their BS/SB/or Bsc in physics.This may not be the best advice, as having a BS or SB in physics will give you a good foundation on which to build your Ph.D.
matthieulabelle
Many well regarded physicist, who have wone nobel prizes or discovered many theories, never got their BS/SB/or Bsc in physics.

Is it any easier to get a phd in physics without getting a undergraduate physics degree? (time wise)

Math degree (2 years) Masters (1 to 2 years) phd (3+ years)
Physics (3 or 4 years) and so on

is graduating 2 years earlier in math but still getting a phd in physics better, worse or it doesn't matter?

thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
matthieulabelle said:
Many well regarded physicist, who have wone nobel prizes or discovered many theories, never got their BS/SB/or Bsc in physics.

Here's something that you may seriously want to consider: Do not take the attitude "Well, if that Nobel Prize winner can do it, why can't I?"

The overwhelming majority of us do not have the exceptional talent of these people, and we certainly cannot wait and depend on the luck/opportunities that they had. So using them as if it is the norm will be a terrible mistake!

Is it any easier to get a phd in physics without getting a undergraduate physics degree? (time wise)

That doesn't make much sense, does it? I mean, if it is easier (timewise or not) to get a Ph.D in physics without first getting an undergraduate degree in physics, then why even bother having a physics undergraduate degree in the first place? Students from other majors who are accepted into a physics graduate program usually have to spend a year or two catching up on undergraduate physics courses just to get them up to speed to be able to pass the qualifier. I do not call this an "easier" path.

Math degree (2 years) Masters (1 to 2 years) phd (3+ years)
Physics (3 or 4 years) and so on

is graduating 2 years earlier in math but still getting a phd in physics better, worse or it doesn't matter?

thoughts?

I'm clueless on what you're asking here.

I wrote a while back on a simple "first-order" test for anyone from a different background wanting to do graduate work in physics in the US. You may want to read it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

What is your goal?

Is it being a good physicist, or is it having Dr. before your name?

By no means am i looking for the Dr. title. My goal is to eventually work for the government.

What i have been told recently by many alumni from UofT and other top Canadian and American schools is that age plays a role in top competitive jobs.

I'm not the smartest guy, by a long shot, but i will be 20 by the time i enter university, i don't want to spend unnessacery time at school.

What i would like to achieve is a Bs in physics and or math, Ms then phd.

What i don't want is to be 35 receiving my phd.

matthieulabelle said:
I'm not the smartest guy, by a long shot, but i will be 20 by the time i enter university, i don't want to spend unnessacery time at school.
From these two statements, I don't think a PhD is suited for you.

However, as it seems you haven't started uni yet, you may find that you get on really well with a subject and want to take it further.

A PhD should be about original research, not about taking more classes and getting a higher qualification. (In fact, as a side, I hate to see taught courses given as part of a PhD.)

1. Who has won the most Nobel Prizes?

The person who has won the most Nobel Prizes is Marie Curie, with a total of 2 Nobel Prizes in Physics and Chemistry.

2. Who were the first women to win a Nobel Prize?

The first women to win a Nobel Prize were Marie Curie for Physics in 1903 and Bertha von Suttner for Peace in 1905.

3. Who is the youngest person to win a Nobel Prize?

The youngest person to win a Nobel Prize is Malala Yousafzai, who won the Nobel Peace Prize at the age of 17 in 2014.

4. How many Nobel Prizes have been awarded in total?

A total of 603 Nobel Prizes have been awarded since 1901, with 54 of them being awarded to women.

5. Who discovered the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity was developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 and 1915, winning him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.