1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who knows this formula and its solution?

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    IMAG0082.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Mismatching brackets in the last sum. And I doubt the overall expression is well-defined.
    Simply open the door and work from there without entering the room? ;)

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    yes, one bracket is missing. I found out where the equation is from, it is from a book by an author named Lauren Child, and using that information, I found out that the solution to the equation is 42. LOL!! She cooperates with maths prof Marcus de Sautoy...

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4
  6. Nov 25, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Where is the equality sign in 3+5 (a "slightly" easier problem of the same type)?

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

Mark44

What you have in the image is NOT an equation. An equation has this symbol in it somewhere: =.
    That would be the value of the expression (I didn't confirm this for myself, though).

8. Nov 26, 2014 #7
    Here is the formula in original version, straight from the book by Lauren Child IMAG0088.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook