Who Should I Ask for Letters of Reference for Grad School

In summary, when applying to grad schools, it is important to get letters of reference from multiple research mentors, including someone from a different institution. It is generally encouraged to get a letter from a summer research internship mentor. However, it is important to only submit four outstanding letters, so it is recommended to only ask the professor with whom you have taken classes if you are confident the letter will be strong.
EJC
I'm applying to grad schools and my undergrad has a very small Physics department - only 3 professors. I am having at least 2 of them write me letters of reference, but in regards to my third letter, should I ask the other professor, who I've only had a few classes with, or should I ask my mentor at my research internship I had over the summer? I feel like my mentor could speak more to my research abilities and give me a thorough and overall a good letter, but is this generally acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
EJC said:
but is this generally acceptable?

Yes.

Definitely ask your summer mentor. In fact, it is strongly encouraged you get a letter from all of your research mentors (unless you already have four letters, if you have a very strong fourth letter most schools will accept it). It is also encouraged that you get a letter from someone at a different institution (like from an REU mentor).

Likes EJC
radium said:
It is also encouraged that you get a letter from someone at a different institution (like from an REU mentor).
This summer internship is essentially my only experience outside from my own institution, and the professor I'm doing research under there is one of the professor I already mentioned counting on for a letter. But thanks for your reply! I will move forward by asking all three of my main professors for letters, as well as my mentor at my internship.

You should only submit four letters of you know they will all be outstanding, so I wouldn't ask the professor who you have only taken classes with unless you are sure it will be really good.

1. Who should I ask for letters of reference for grad school?

You should ask individuals who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities, research experience, and potential for success in graduate school. This can include professors, research supervisors, or employers who have worked closely with you.

2. How many letters of reference do I need for grad school?

The number of letters required varies by program, but most graduate schools typically ask for 2-3 letters of reference. It is important to check the specific requirements of each program you are applying to.

3. Can I ask for a letter of reference from someone who is not an academic?

Yes, you can ask for a letter of reference from someone who is not an academic, such as an employer or volunteer supervisor. However, it is important to make sure that they can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school.

4. Is it better to ask for a letter of reference from a professor I had a few years ago, or someone I recently worked with?

It is generally better to ask for a letter of reference from someone you have recently worked with, as they will be able to provide more current and relevant information about your abilities and potential for success in graduate school. However, if you had a particularly strong relationship with a professor from a few years ago, it may be beneficial to ask them as well.

5. Should I provide any materials or information to the individuals writing my letters of reference?

Yes, it is helpful to provide your letter writers with a copy of your resume, personal statement, and any other relevant materials that can give them a better understanding of your experiences and goals. It is also important to communicate clearly the specific requirements and deadlines for each letter of reference.