Who Should I Ask for Letters of Reference for Grad School

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
EJC
Messages
42
Reaction score
4
I'm applying to grad schools and my undergrad has a very small Physics department - only 3 professors. I am having at least 2 of them write me letters of reference, but in regards to my third letter, should I ask the other professor, who I've only had a few classes with, or should I ask my mentor at my research internship I had over the summer? I feel like my mentor could speak more to my research abilities and give me a thorough and overall a good letter, but is this generally acceptable?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely ask your summer mentor. In fact, it is strongly encouraged you get a letter from all of your research mentors (unless you already have four letters, if you have a very strong fourth letter most schools will accept it). It is also encouraged that you get a letter from someone at a different institution (like from an REU mentor).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EJC
radium said:
It is also encouraged that you get a letter from someone at a different institution (like from an REU mentor).
This summer internship is essentially my only experience outside from my own institution, and the professor I'm doing research under there is one of the professor I already mentioned counting on for a letter. But thanks for your reply! I will move forward by asking all three of my main professors for letters, as well as my mentor at my internship.
 
You should only submit four letters of you know they will all be outstanding, so I wouldn't ask the professor who you have only taken classes with unless you are sure it will be really good.