Who Truly Experiences Slower Time in the Paradox of Time Dilation?
- Level: Graduate
- Thread starter p.tryon
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Dilation Time Time dilation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
175 replies · 25K views
Physics news on Phys.org
swerdna
- 251
- 0
Doesn't make it any less wrong.atyy said:Oh, I see. I believe sylas's claim is simply the traditional short hand for those two statements.
swerdna
- 251
- 0
What are you drinking? Doesn’t make Sylas’s statement - “Whether you are in motion or stationary is relative” any less wrong. Nothing to do with the statements I made. Sylas made that statement before I made mine.atyy said:I thought you accepted the 2 statements? Or are you saying that it is not acceptable short hand for the 2 statements?
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:What are you drinking? Doesn’t make Sylas’s statement - “Whether you are in motion or stationary is relative” any less wrong. Nothing to do with the statements I made. Sylas made his/her statement before I made mine.
Well, if sylas's statements have the same meaning as statements you consider correct, how can you consider them wrong?
swerdna
- 251
- 0
“Whether you are in motion or stationary is relative” (sylas) and “When you are accelerating you are absolutely in motion (no relativeness required)” (me) are NOT the “same meaning“. Please read at least some of the thread before commenting on it.atyy said:Well, if sylas's statements have the same meaning as statements you consider correct, how can you consider them wrong?
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:“Whether you are in motion or stationary is relative” (sylas) and “When you are accelerating you are absolutely in motion (no relativeness required)” (me) are NOT the “same meaning“. Please read at least some of the thread before commenting on it.
So you disagree with the traditional shorthand, which is fair enough. That means you have no problem with special relativity?
swerdna
- 251
- 0
How can sylas’s statement be a shorthand response to my statement when his statement was made first Is he psychic?atyy said:So you disagree with the traditional shorthand, which is fair enough. That means you have no problem with special relativity?
Whatever it is that you are drinking I think you really have had more than enough.
swerdna
- 251
- 0
Stationary can only exist in a relative sense and not an absolute sense.
Motion can exist in a relative sense and also in an absolute sense in the form of acceleration.
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:Stationary can only exist in a relative sense and not an absolute sense.
Motion can exist in a relative sense and also in an absolute sense in the form of acceleration.
Sure, that's understandable short hand for the 2 statements. So you accept special relativity?
swerdna
- 251
- 0
You’re just pulling my leg aren’t you. Very funny.atyy said:Sure, that's understandable short hand for the 2 statements. So you accept special relativity?
swerdna
- 251
- 0
If you are actually interested read the thread.atyy said:So which part of special relativity don't you accept?
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:Written in layman-speak . . .
An inertial frame is defined by non-accelerating things that don’t move relative to each other.
Sure. Better: an inertial frame is defined as a frame in which the laws of physics look "pretty", eg. in which Maxwell's equations have their "standard" form. The reason this is better is that you have used "non-accelerating" without specifying whether it is non-accelerating relative to an inertial or a non-inertial frame. Your statement is true if "non-accelerating" is defined relative to an inertial frame. But then you would have used "inertial frame" in the definition of "inertial frame".
swerdna said:No inertial frame can be stationary relative to any other inertial frame. It follows therefore that all inertial fames move relative to all other inertial frames.
Yes.
swerdna said:There is absolutely no evidence that anything can ever be absolutely stationary. It follows therefore that no inertial frame can be absolutely stationary.
Yes, provided "absolutely" means "relative to all inertial frames".
swerdna said:In other words inertial frames are always relatively and absolutely in motion.
Anything wrong with any of this?
This is wrong, if "absolutely" means "relative to all inertial frames", since each inertial frame is not in motion relative to itself, so it is not in motion relative to all inertial frames.
swerdna
- 251
- 0
Is the term “a thing is stationary relative to itself” really valid? Relative is one thing compared to another thing. For a thing to be relative to itself wouldn't it have to have multiple existence? How can a thing be relative to itself? A thing is itself. Stationary only exists as a relative situation so how can it be attributed to a situation that isn’t relative? A thing is in motion when it’s accelerating but acceleration isn’t a relative situation. I know I’ve used this term many times myself, but on reflection I thinks it’s nothing more than a nonsense
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:Is the term “a thing is stationary relative to itself” really valid? Relative is one thing compared to another thing. For a thing to be relative to itself wouldn't it have to have multiple existence? How can a thing be relative to itself? A thing is itself. Stationary only exists as a relative situation so how can it be attributed to a situation that isn’t relative? A thing is in motion when it’s accelerating but acceleration isn’t a relative situation. I know I’ve used this term many times myself, but on reflection I thinks it’s nothing more than a nonsense
I think it's ok.
But suppose it's not, that would still not make an inertial frame in motion relative to itself, so an inertial frame would not be in motion relative to all inertial frames, so it would not be in "absolute" motion, where "absolute" means "relative to all inertial frames".
Also, "acceleration is not relative" or "acceleration is absolute" is the traditional short hand for "acceleration is the same relative to all inertial frames".
p764rds
- 167
- 0
If I designed a 3D space (a big one) in a computer, then would relativity apply there to the objects I placed in it?
I was trying to work it out in my mind the other night, but got confused. Let's say I designed in a velocity of light (information) too. Probably no takers.. it was just a thought.
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:Is the term “a thing is stationary relative to itself” really valid? Relative is one thing compared to another thing. For a thing to be relative to itself wouldn't it have to have multiple existence? How can a thing be relative to itself? A thing is itself. Stationary only exists as a relative situation so how can it be attributed to a situation that isn’t relative? A thing is in motion when it’s accelerating but acceleration isn’t a relative situation. I know I’ve used this term many times myself, but on reflection I thinks it’s nothing more than a nonsense
BTW, I can't resist - have you heard of the man and his Ba? I think he tells his Ba not to leave him. Naively I understand a man's Ba to be himself, so the man is telling himself not to leave himself - how can that be?
Homework Helper
- 2,176
- 8
What, you mean like a simulation? Not necessarily... the appeal of simulating things on the computer is that you can program in any physical laws you want. You could make your virtual world follow the laws of relativity if you want, or you could make it follow the laws of nonrelativistic mechanics (but then you'd run into trouble with Maxwell's equations, if EM fields existed in your virtual world).p764rds said:If I designed a 3D space (a big one) in a computer, then would relativity apply there to the objects I placed in it?
I was trying to work it out in my mind the other night, but got confused. Let's say I designed in a velocity of light (information) too. Probably no takers.. it was just a thought.
swerdna
- 251
- 0
That made me laugh - thanks. You say suppose it's not okay to use the term then you immediately use the term!atyy said:I think it's ok.
But suppose it's not, that would still not make an inertial frame in motion relative to itself, so an inertial frame would not be in motion relative to all inertial frames, so it would not be in "absolute" motion, where "absolute" means "relative to all inertial frames".
Thanks for the clarification.atyy said:Also, "acceleration is not relative" or "acceleration is absolute" is the traditional short hand for "acceleration is the same relative to all inertial frames".
swerdna
- 251
- 0
As I walked upon a stair I saw a man that wasn’t there. He wasn’t there again today. I wish that man would go away.atyy said:BTW, I can't resist - have you heard of the man and his Ba? I think he tells his Ba not to leave him. Naively I understand a man's Ba to be himself, so the man is telling himself not to leave himself - how can that be?![]()
![]()
ETA - If you leave me can I come too?
swerdna
- 251
- 0
But seriously . . . The important thing (to me at least) about it not being valid to say “a thing is stationary to itself” is that you then can’t use a single thing as a definition of stationary.
ETA - This means a non-accelerating thing is always moving in a relative sense.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
swerdna said:But seriously . . . The important thing (to me at least) about it not being valid to say “a thing is stationary to itself” is that you then can’t use a single thing as a definition of stationary.
But whether or not an inertial frame has 0 or undefined velocity relative to itself, that doesn't make it true that an inertial frame has a defined non-zero velocity relative to all inertial frames, since it would have either 0 or undefined velocity relative to itself.
swerdna
- 251
- 0
atyy said:![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I understand your laughter but not your confusion.
“have you heard of the man and his Ba? I think he tells his Ba not to leave him. Naively I understand a man's Ba to be himself, so the man is telling himself not to leave himself”
“As I walked upon a stair I saw a man that wasn’t there. He wasn’t there again today. I wish that man would go away.”
“If you leave me can I come too?”
These are all a nonsense. I’m suggesting that “a thing is stationary relative to itself” is no less a nonsense
swerdna
- 251
- 0
If one inertial frame is not moving relative to another inertial frame then they are the same inertial frame.atyy said:Sure, if relative means "relative to at least one inertial frame, but not relative to all inertial frames".
swerdna
- 251
- 0
If "a thing is stationary relative to itself" is not a valid statement you can't use it. How can a thing be relative to itself?atyy said:But whether or not an inertial frame has 0 or undefined velocity relative to itself, that doesn't make it true that an inertial frame has a defined non-zero velocity relative to all inertial frames, since it would have either 0 or undefined velocity relative to itself.
Science Advisor
- 15,171
- 3,379
BTW, there is a very pedantic construction. We don't start by assuming frames to be either stationary or in motion relative to each other. A frame is just a coordinate system for space and time. An inertial frame is a coordinate system in which eg. Maxwell's equations take their standard form. Then one only talks about whether things (like a car, but not a whole frame) are stationary or moving relative to a frame. Consider a thing P that is stationary in inertial frame X, but moving in inertial frame Y. We can assign a velocity to frame X relative to frame Y by saying that it is the velocity of P in frame Y, where P is any thing that is stationary in frame X. In this way, we can define the velocity of a frame X relative to itself by saying that it is the velocity of P in frame X, where P is any thing that is stationary in frame X.
Last edited:
Similar threads
Undergrad
The paradox of symmetrical time dilation
- spacecadet2563
- · Replies 15 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 15
High School
Simplest symmetrical time dilation question
- GR86
- · Replies 16 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 16
- Hiero
- · Replies 24 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 24
- ersa17
- · Replies 32 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 32
- danb
- · Replies 17 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 17
- mariusmyburg
- · Replies 61 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 61
- Kai91
- · Replies 12 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 12
- Buckethead
- · Replies 70 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 70
- Thadriel
- · Replies 21 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 21
High School
Time dilation and Einstein's theorem
- worlov
- · Replies 58 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 58