Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who was greater, Einstein or Newton?

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    Who was greater (in your opinion), Einstein or Newton? and Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    I was just wondering what peoples thought were towards this questions.

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Who's stronger? Superman or the Hulk? (And if you think this question is silly, it would help to explain how your question is different)

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5
    http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime_%28One_Million%29 [Broken].

And Einstein was greater. In height.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Mar 10, 2015 #6
    Maybe we should get inspired by my gov way of grading science and check who of them published in more presitigious journals or get more citations?

Googling: seems Einstein.

8. Mar 10, 2015 #7
    Not so fast. Newton was published in the Journal of the Royal Society at a young age, and that was the height. There was no superior science journal in existence. He went on to become president of that society in his later years, which made him, in effect, the King of Science. There wasn't a higher credential to be had at the time.

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is this desire to rank people. I never got it. Why do you care which one is greater. Just read their work and enjoy the physics.

10. Mar 10, 2015 #9
    Maybe to understand who had more donations to science community. There should be one who is more preferred.
    Hmmm... I can't myself if I don't know the truth.

I am working as a software engineer, my work now has nothing related to physics. But I like both of them.

11. Mar 10, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why? Why should there be one?

What truth?

12. Mar 10, 2015 #11
    That is the point of the OP as he is looking for us to explain and vote. We talk about Einstein and Newton, not you individually. Why do you sound upset ?
    Truths about both of them, related historical events, their inventions and more.

13. Mar 10, 2015 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I understand the point of the OP, but the question is pretty meaningless. There is no correct answer, so why bother?

You can't study science without that? And why can't you do that without some silly ranking system.

14. Mar 10, 2015 #13
    I am looking up more details about Newton. I don't know much about physics actually. My knowledge sucks, honestly.
    I have read information about Einstein and his family, all members :oldsmile:

15. Mar 10, 2015 #14

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

We don't allow these kinds of threads, the conversation is meaningless. As anyone can tell from the similar discussions listed below this is a pretty regular argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook