Who was greater, Einstein or Newton?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of who was greater between Einstein and Newton and why. It also compares this question to the debate of who is stronger between Superman and the Hulk. The discussion also touches on the idea of ranking people and the importance of understanding the truth about both Einstein and Newton. However, the conversation is deemed meaningless as there is no correct answer and the topic has been discussed numerous times before.
CosmicRover
Who was greater (in your opinion), Einstein or Newton? and Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question comes up a lot online:

http://www.amnh.org/explore/science-bulletins/astro/documentaries/gravity-making-waves/essay-Newton-vs.-einstein-vs.-the-next-wave

and perhaps it would be more productive to search for it via google.

Likes Silicon Waffle
I was just wondering what peoples thought were towards this questions.

Who's stronger? Superman or the Hulk? (And if you think this question is silly, it would help to explain how your question is different)

Vanadium 50 said:
Who's stronger? Superman or the Hulk? (And if you think this question is silly, it would help to explain how your question is different)
http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime_%28One_Million%29 .

And Einstein was greater. In height.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we should get inspired by my gov way of grading science and check who of them published in more presitigious journals or get more citations?

Googling: seems Einstein.

Czcibor said:
Maybe we should get inspired by my gov way of grading science and check who of them published in more presitigious journals or get more citations?

Googling: seems Einstein.
Not so fast. Newton was published in the Journal of the Royal Society at a young age, and that was the height. There was no superior science journal in existence. He went on to become president of that society in his later years, which made him, in effect, the King of Science. There wasn't a higher credential to be had at the time.

Likes Silicon Waffle
What is this desire to rank people. I never got it. Why do you care which one is greater. Just read their work and enjoy the physics.

micromass said:
What is this desire to rank people. I never got it. Why do you care which one is greater.
Maybe to understand who had more donations to science community. There should be one who is more preferred.
Just read their work and enjoy the physics.
Hmmm... I can't myself if I don't know the truth.

I am working as a software engineer, my work now has nothing related to physics. But I like both of them.

Silicon Waffle said:
Maybe to understand who had more donations to science community. There should be one who is more preferred.

Why? Why should there be one?

Hmmm... I can't myself if I don't know the truth.

What truth?

micromass said:
Why? Why should there be one?
That is the point of the OP as he is looking for us to explain and vote. We talk about Einstein and Newton, not you individually. Why do you sound upset ?
What truth?
Truths about both of them, related historical events, their inventions and more.

Likes CosmicRover
Silicon Waffle said:
That is the point of the OP as he is looking for us to explain and vote. We talk about Einstein and Newton, not you individually. Why do you sound upset ?

I understand the point of the OP, but the question is pretty meaningless. There is no correct answer, so why bother?

Truths about both of them, related historical events, their inventions and more.

You can't study science without that? And why can't you do that without some silly ranking system.

I am looking up more details about Newton. I don't know much about physics actually. My knowledge sucks, honestly.
I have read information about Einstein and his family, all members :oldsmile:

We don't allow these kinds of threads, the conversation is meaningless. As anyone can tell from the similar discussions listed below this is a pretty regular argument.

1. Who had a greater impact on science, Einstein or Newton?

Both Einstein and Newton had a significant impact on the development of science. Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation laid the foundation for classical mechanics, while Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It is difficult to determine which one had a greater impact as they both made groundbreaking contributions to the field of science.

2. Who was more intelligent, Einstein or Newton?

It is impossible to determine who was more intelligent as intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept. Both Einstein and Newton were brilliant scientists who made groundbreaking discoveries in their respective fields. It is unfair to compare their intelligence as they both had unique strengths and contributions to science.

3. Who had a better understanding of the universe, Einstein or Newton?

Einstein and Newton had different understandings of the universe. Newton's laws of motion and gravitation explained the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale, while Einstein's theory of relativity described the behavior of objects on a microscopic scale and their relationship to space and time. Both theories are essential for our understanding of the universe, and it is difficult to determine who had a better understanding.

4. Who was a better mathematician, Einstein or Newton?

Both Einstein and Newton were exceptional mathematicians. Newton developed the mathematical principles of calculus, which is still widely used in physics and engineering today. Einstein also made significant contributions to mathematics, including the development of the field equations of general relativity. It is challenging to determine who was a better mathematician as they both had different areas of expertise.

5. Who was more influential, Einstein or Newton?

Einstein and Newton were both highly influential in their respective fields and beyond. Newton's laws of motion and gravitation formed the basis of classical mechanics and influenced scientific thought for centuries. Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has had a significant impact on fields such as physics, astronomy, and cosmology. It is difficult to determine who was more influential as their contributions continue to shape our understanding of the world.