Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is so "genius" about the work of genius scientists?

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    Many scientists are regarded as geniuses based on their work (Einstein, Newton, etc).
    What is it about their work that is so clever that few others could have done it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My guess would be that their works were developed with knowledge, curiosity, imagination, and persistence.
    I base this on quotes attributed to Einstein, Newton, Edison, Tesla, and of course, Roosevelt.

Of course, without some base knowledge, you wouldn't be curious about something, and without imagination, you couldn't really expand on how to solve the problem, and unless you are persistent, the problem is just going to end up on the coffee table, with everything else, and never get solved.
    And then you run off to the river, which I am about to do, and listen to people gossip.

Hmmm.... this reminds me, that I have a data from a science experiment on my coffee table from yesterday that needs analyzing.
    I think I boogered a couple of experiments over the last 10 years.

4. Jul 29, 2017 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That assumes that "few others could have done it". The "geniuses" just did it first, or were published first. Others could have done whatever, eventually, and if done later, their work just helped to add to the knowledge or helped to confirm the new knowledge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted