Who wrote "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the author of a popular introductory account of representation theory in Quantum Mechanics. Despite being attributed to three Nobel laureates, the author is actually Dimitri Vvedensky, who wrote it as part of a course material available on various websites. The chapter is recommended for those struggling with elementary representation theory in QM.
pellis
Who really wrote the best introductory account of representation theory in QM that I've seen so far ? [Likely mis-attribution discussed here below; prefixed "Advanced" to reach lecturers who are more likely to know the answer to this question.]

It's available via https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...show/6c20cf4f67a872355773eed9cf0d110807b71ac0

It's also available on other pedagogical sites, which justifies its popularity - but I would like to find the rest of the chapters as the level of explanation seems much better than usual.

Its authorship seems to be attributed to three Nobellists cited in a footnote (Weinberg, Glashow and Salam), in relation to the chapter-opening quote by one of them (Steven Weinberg). However, searching on their names I've been unable to locate a correspondong publication by any or all of them.

Can anyone identify the book and/or its author, from which this Chapter 6 has been excerpted?

Meanwhile, for anyone struggling with elementary representation theory in QM, I thoroughly recommend this chapter.

With thanks - Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
[Oh! 1st reply's disappeared]

Dear X - Thanks, but the whole point of my query is that I think the work has been misattributed - if you open it and look at the first page, there's a quote from Weinberg and a footnote indicating what I believe is the source of the quote, not the source of the book/chapter.

The only way I can see the attribution being correct is if the three of them (not all at the same institution) wrote the material as lecture notes - but I think that's unlikely.
Regards - Paul

Last edited:
Likes A. Neumaier

1. Who is the author of "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM"?

The author of "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM" is typically the textbook or material used in a quantum mechanics course. It can vary depending on the course and instructor.

2. What is the purpose of "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM"?

The purpose of "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM" is to introduce students to the mathematical concept of group theory and its applications in quantum mechanics. This chapter helps students understand the symmetries and transformations of quantum systems and how they relate to physical properties.

3. Is "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM" difficult to understand?

The difficulty level of "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM" can vary depending on the individual's mathematical background and familiarity with quantum mechanics. It may require some effort and practice to fully grasp the concepts, but it is an important topic to understand in order to advance in the study of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM"?

Generally, a basic understanding of linear algebra and quantum mechanics is recommended before studying "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM". It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and group theory.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM"?

The concepts learned in "Ch 6 Groups & Representations in QM" have various applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. They can also be applied in other fields such as chemistry, computer science, and engineering.