Who's the better companion: cats or dogs?
- Thread starter micromass
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Dogs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
66 replies · 9K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 4,366
- 677
lisab said:Cats are like emotionally healthy people: they have well-defined personal boundaries, and don't let just anyone in at first sight. You have to earn their trust and love. Once you do, they're often sweet, cuddly little house lions :!).
But this is a generality - there is significant variability in the personalities of cats.
I don't need my pet to be like another person, who I have to worry about personal boundaries...I don't want to earn the trust of a pet! My pet should just love me.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
I wouldn't trust any pet that accepted me unconditionally. A pet like that would like Charles Manson as much as me.Matterwave said:I don't want to earn the trust of a pet! My pet should just love me.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
After this past shark week I think sharks may be the same. It turn out the allegedly solitary great white is actually often found in the company of other great whites. These aren't exactly schools, but groups of 4-10 that seem to hang out in the same locale, within sight of each other.lisab said:Holy moly that made me! So true!
"Let's all get together in the same room; let's drink or eat or just sit, but not talk to each other. I just want to eat near others of my species but with no verbal interaction." I've often observed this weird behavior in humans and thought it odd, but I've not thought of feline behavior that way -- it certainly fits!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,850
- 554
Dogs ##\gg## cats, no question about it. A dog is a best friend. A cat is just a liability.
wukunlin
Gold Member
- 479
- 117
Dogs. Cats remind me of those managers when I worked at fast food stores.
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
Matterwave said:In my experience, since I never owned cats or dogs, whenever I visit someone who owns cats, the cats are always hiding somewhere. Whereas if I visit someone who owns dogs, the dogs come out and want you to pet them.
In my experience, this really depends on the specific personalities/temperaments of the cat or dog. Some cats are very timid and would instinctively hide whenever they see or encounter a stranger, while other cats love people and would come out and rub against anyone new.
It's similar with dogs. I've encountered dogs who are quite timid and would cower away at the back when someone new comes by, or starts barking and becoming defensive when someone new comes over, while other dogs are like those you encounter and would come out and want you to pet them.
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
Interesting that PF seems to have more dog-lovers than cat-lovers.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
I too thought of cats as cold aloof and self centered until i watched a documentary on Elsa the lioness in 'Born Free'. That cat showed affection for the Adamsons, bringing her cubs around to visit the 'grandparents' .
She even came "home" to die.
A cat is less nuisance but for outdoor adventures a dog is a better playmate .
She even came "home" to die.
A cat is less nuisance but for outdoor adventures a dog is a better playmate .
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Which is strange, since I assumed there are more liberals than conservatives in PF, and liberals prefer cats over dogs, and conservatives the other way around (at least in the US; not sure in the rest of the world):StatGuy2000 said:Interesting that PF seems to have more dog-lovers than cat-lovers.
http://www.cuil.pt/r.php?cx=0028257...s+and+conservatives,+pet+preference&sa=Search
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Nope. Your engineering types favor the Republican type economy, which is more likely to spend big bucks on high tech.WWGD said:Which is strange, since I assumed there are more liberals than conservatives in PF...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
Or we're inveterate "Do-It-Yourself"-ers.zoobyshoe said:Nope. Your engineering types favor the Republican type economy, which is more likely to spend big bucks on high tech.
courtesy http://galleryone.com/fineart/christensen/CHRLO1.html and James Christensen
Mentor
- 29,213
- 4,643
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Borek said:Sissy![]()
Yeah. When this one cat had a litter of kittens here I got 20 new marks like that on each limb every day. They thought I was a tree and used to have races to the top.
drizzle
Gold Member
- 202
- 58
cats (period)
I'd just look in Moustache's eye, and we'd start running and playing around. I love him.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/8831/rps7.jpg
^
Moustache.
I'd just look in Moustache's eye, and we'd start running and playing around. I love him.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img844/8831/rps7.jpg
^
Moustache.
Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle
Gold Member
- 202
- 58
Haha
*now*
- 97
- 71
Very cute fur patterns.
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,425
16:18 and 18 "both" votes. Doesn't look like a significant difference.StatGuy2000 said:Interesting that PF seems to have more dog-lovers than cat-lovers.
Cats.
If they would do that, they would rarely come back at all as the world is huge.zoobyshoe said:Outdoor cats don't seem to be loyal to an owner.
My parents have a cat that really enjoys being outside - in summer, she used to appear once per day, eat, maybe stay a while, an leave again, some days she did not come at all - but she clearly knows where she belongs to: in winter, she sleeps at home nearly every night.
She is quite old now and at home much more often, even in summer.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 6,999
- 299
A cat-tracking experiment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22821639mfb said:If they would do that, they would rarely come back at all as the world is huge.
Some results: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526
Science Advisor
- 2,802
- 605
Strange, the only one who voted for neither is me!
- 20,002
- 11,120
Ban him! :DShyan said:Strange, the only one who voted for neither is me!
Science Advisor
- 2,802
- 605
Greg Bernhardt said:Ban him! :D
Does CatDog count? I assure you I like it!
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
The tracking collars in AlephZero's link demonstrate most cats aren't comfortable going more than a few block from their home base.mfb said:If they would do that, they would rarely come back at all as the world is huge.
Also:
Over the years I've had many visiting cats who are clearly not feral (well fed and people friendly) come into my place and check it out. One or two seemed to want to move in. I really think that if the food, accommodations, and company are more to their liking, they'll relocate without regrets.For example, we saw cats going into houses other than their own.
- 22,170
- 3,335
zoobyshoe said:The tracking collars in AlephZero's link demonstrate most cats aren't comfortable going more than a few block from their home base.
Which is exactly mfb's point.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
I'm pretty sure his point was that they're loyal to one owner.micromass said:Which is exactly mfb's point.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 6,999
- 299
Or, they have territories, and the size depends how many other cats are around.
I've seen a situation where two cats living in the same house had split it up into weirdly complicated territories with boundaries that are invisible to humans. Their owner had mapped out some of the boundaries, following the observation that moving one of their food dishes a small distance across the kitchen floor was guaranteed to start a cat fight.
I've seen a situation where two cats living in the same house had split it up into weirdly complicated territories with boundaries that are invisible to humans. Their owner had mapped out some of the boundaries, following the observation that moving one of their food dishes a small distance across the kitchen floor was guaranteed to start a cat fight.
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,425
And the tracking data show several examples of that, at least within the precision of the GPS data.zoobyshoe said:I'm pretty sure his point was that they're loyal to one owner.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
How does the data show loyalty? It shows them going into other people's houses.mfb said:And the tracking data show several examples of that, at least within the precision of the GPS data.