Why (1+1/n)^n goes to e as n goes to infinite?

• Thread starter Teachme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation discusses how to justify the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n as n approaches infinity being equal to the number 'e'. One method mentioned is using l'Hopital's rule after taking the log, while another is simply plugging in large values of n. The concept of 'e' is also discussed, with one person mentioning it as a limit and another suggesting a proof of its irrationality and transcendence.
Teachme
I uploaded a picture of my question. I am just wondering how to justify how (1 + 1/n)^n goes to e as n goes to ∞? How do you show this?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
You can if you take the log and then use l'Hopital's rule. On the other hand it might just be a definition of 'e'.

You could alose plug in some very large values of n and see that it indeed approaches e (I was bored and did this myself a few days ago). This is the definition of e.

nevermind.

How, exactly are you defining "e"? In many texts, e is defined by that limit.

It's more instructive to show that the sequence converges. Its limit is denoted by 'e' and is one of the most important real numbers in mathematics. Another interesting proof would be to show that the number, namely the limit, is irrational. Then transcendental.

Why does (1+1/n)^n approach e as n approaches infinity?

This question is often asked because it seems counterintuitive that a number raised to an infinitely large power would approach a specific value.

What is the significance of e in this equation?

Euler's number, e, is a mathematical constant that arises frequently in calculus, and it represents the base of the natural logarithm. In this equation, it is the limit that (1+1/n)^n approaches as n becomes infinitely large.

How can this equation be used in real-world applications?

The equation (1+1/n)^n approaching e as n approaches infinity has many practical uses, such as in compound interest calculations, population growth models, and radioactive decay calculations. It is also used in various fields of science, including biology, physics, and economics.

Can this equation be proven mathematically?

Yes, there are multiple proofs for this equation, including using the binomial theorem, the definition of limits, and the definition of e itself as the limit of (1+1/n)^n as n approaches infinity.

Is there a limit to how close (1+1/n)^n can get to e?

As n approaches infinity, the value of (1+1/n)^n approaches e, but it never actually reaches it. There is always a small margin of error, which can be made arbitrarily small by choosing a large enough value for n. This is a fundamental concept in calculus known as a limit.