1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why a bijective map may not preserve area?

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1
    Consider the following map ##f## that maps an annulus to a larger annulus: ##f: (r, \theta)\to(r+1, \theta)##. ##f## maps the annulus in the region ##1\leq r\leq2## to the annulus in the region ##2\leq r\leq3##. Clearly, the area is not preserved.

Next, is the converse true? That is, must an area-preserving map be a bijective map? How about a length-preserving map and a volume-preserving map? Must they be bijective?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2
    The two relation is not related originally. You cannot judge from intuition, but have to verify an idea from their definitions strictly.

4. Jul 11, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No it's not true. You should be able to find a counterexample very easily.

5. Jul 11, 2016 #4
    The true statements would be
    1. Not all injective map preserves area (or length or volume).
    2. All area-preserving maps are injective.

Right?

6. Jul 11, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would an area preserving map be an injection? You could map ##[0, 1]## onto itself without it being 1-1.

PS: You are effectively saying that all mappings from a set to itself that are onto must be 1-1.

7. Jul 11, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no relation between area-conservation, being injective and being surjective. All 8 combinations are possible.

8. Jul 11, 2016 #7
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometry

Under formal definitions, it says an isometry (or a distance-preserving map) is automatically injective.

9. Jul 11, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An isometry is a pointwise distance preserving map. For every two points ##x, y## the distance between ##f(x)## and ##f(y)## is preserved. That's a very specific additional condition on the map. In this case the 1-1 property is trivially true, since ##x = y \iff d(x, y) = 0 \iff d(f(x), f(y)) = 0 \iff f(x) = f(y)##

Your initial example made us all think you were talking about the length/volume/area of the Domain and Range.

10. Jul 11, 2016 #9
    Yes I was referring to pointwise distance-preserving maps. Would such a map (an isometry) also preserve area and volume (and higher-dimensional volume) point-wise or region-wise?

Is there an easy proof?

The questions in post #1 become "why a bijective map may not preserve distance point-wise?" and "must a region-wise area-preserving map be injective?".

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  11. Jul 12, 2016 #10
    Hi Happiness,

I will tackle your three questions separately.

1) Your question was if an isometry would preserve ##n##-volume. The answer is yes, it would, but we must be a bit careful. If ##A \subset \mathbb{R}^n## then we define the volume of ##A## to be $$v(A) = \int_A 1$$. It can be shown (see Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds", page 176) that a map ##h: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n## is an isometry if and only if ##h(x) = Ax + p## where ##A## is an orthogonal matrix. This is a pretty intuitive fact. We can now prove that an isometry preserves volume: We know that ##Dh(x) = A##. It is not hard to see that ##h## is a diffeomorphism. Thus by change of variables theorem, $$\begin{align*} v(h(A)) &= \int_{h(A)} 1 \\ &= \int_{A} \lvert \det(A) \rvert \\ &= v(A) \end{align*}$$ Thus ##h## preserves ##n##-volume.

2) Your question was why doesn't a bijective map preserve point-wise distance. The answer to this is that it is just a feature of bijections. Think of the bijection that sends ##(0,1)## onto ##(-2,2)##. If you picture ##(0,1)## as a line segment that is made out of a stretchy material (think of a rubber band), then the bijection stretches it out until it is ##(-2,2)##. Even though this is a bijection, pointwise distance has not been preserved.

3) Your question was must a region-wise area-preserving map be injective. If by this, you meant, "given a set ##A \subset \mathbb{R}^n##, if a map preserves its area, must that map be injective?" The answer to that question would be no. PeroK answered it above. Now if you meant, "must a map which preserves the volume of ALL regions (which have a well-defined volume) be injective?". The answer to that is, I don't know. I think that the answer may be no, it does not need to be injective. I am thinking that you could possibly have a map which sends each region to itself, plus a fixed set of measure zero. Such a map would not be injective and would preserve volume since zero sets do not affect volume. I would have to think about this a bit more to be certain though.

12. Jul 13, 2016 #11
    Hi JonnyG, thanks for your reply!

The book I'm reading justifies the change-of-variables theorem by assuming ##h## preserves volume. So if we use the theorem to prove its assumption, that is, ##h## preserves volume, we have a circular argument.

The change-of-variables theorem from the book:
    Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 2.45.27 pm.png

13. Jul 13, 2016 #12
    The theorem can be, and usually is, proved without even mentioning isometries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted