Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are dimensions always at right angles?

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    I asked my teacher , i didnt get any satisfactory answers , can u tell me why dimensions are always at right angles .

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2
    Not true at all. Dimensions aren't always at right angles. They can be whatever they want.
    Not true at all. Dimensions aren't always at right angles. They can be whatever they want.
    We *choose* 90 degrees because a lot of problems are avoided by doing so. For example, assume that 'a' is the angle which the axes make, then the distance formula changed to d = square_root((x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + 2*(x2 - x1)*(y2 - y1) * cos(a)); Now by choosing a=90 degrees we eliminate the cos term and get a beautiful formula, instead of an overcomplicated one. Similarly a LOT of trigonometric terms are avoided, sin(90) becomes 1 as well. If complications don't arise and instead stuff gets simplified, mathematicians do indeed take axes which are inclined at an angle.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. Dec 27, 2015 #3
  5. Dec 27, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I will also point out that "dimension" is the wrong word here. "Dimension" is a number; what you are calling "dimensions" are the coordinate axes. As others say here, they are not necessarily at right angles. They are often chosen to be at right angles because that simplifies the calculations.

6. Dec 27, 2015 #5

There all all sorts of spaces. In some of those spaces, dimensions are not at right angles. But the great majority of people are not interested in these, because in our Universe the physical dimensions ARE at right angles. This is true of any space with the Euclidian metric of a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = d^2, where d is the distance between two points and a, b, and c are at right angles to one another.

Some responders are trying to tell you that the right angles are just a convention and convenience. It is possible to use coordinate axes that are not at right angles, but as far as I know no one actually does this in the real world. The real world really does have this right angle character.

7. Dec 27, 2015 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid I have to disagree. The real world does not measure things in coordinate systems. People do. The advantage of measuring coordinates in right angles is so great that there are few exceptions. One example is magnetic North/South versus polar North/South. Magnetic North does not line up with Polar North. So if you go in the magnetic North direction, you are (usually) also moving in the East/West direction. Because of this, Latitude / Longitude measurements are not based on magnetic North even though that is the easiest thing to determine in the "real world". But humans made that decision, not the "real world".

8. Dec 27, 2015 #7
    The OP asked about dimensions, not coordinate systems.

9. Dec 27, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, dimensions are just numbers. So dimensions being at right angles makes no sense really.

10. Dec 27, 2015 #9

A mathematician can say that dimensions are just numbers related in arbitrary ways. That's valid, but physicists deal with real objects and measurements inside of a real universe that is overwhelmingly preferential to 3 dimensions of space and one of time, all at right angles to one another. In the context of physicsforums such may be assumed.

11. Dec 27, 2015 #10

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

This is the mathematics section of the website, hence people are answering in the context of mathematics. By that logic do you assume that the Earth Sciences forum or the Computing forum are also physics discussions just because the website is named Physics Forums?

12. Dec 27, 2015 #11
    When dealing with "real objects", in what sense does time form an angle of 90 degrees with any of the dimensions of space?

13. Dec 27, 2015 #12
    He's talking about relativity. It assumes a 4 dimensional space where time is another dimension. Time dilation tell us that time doesn't flow at equal rate depending on your velocity and gravitational potential. So time rate has to be measures. This is simplified by choosing a 4 dimensional space. Time does indeed flow at different rates. Experiments have been done and it's verified.

14. Dec 27, 2015 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, how do you measure 90° angles in GR?

15. Dec 27, 2015 #14
    You've got a point there.

The question makes sense from the point of physics but not from the mathematics side. So I'd charitably assume that he was asking from the physics point of view.

16. Dec 27, 2015 #15
    It isn't 90 degrees, but it is orthogonal. The Minkowski metric is x^2+y^2+z^2+it^2, which is pretty similar to the Euclidean metric. So one may loosely think of the angle as begin 90 degrees.

But I'm sure the OP wasn't asking about that.

17. Dec 27, 2015 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you sure the imaginary number ##i## should be in there?

And what about vectors for which this metric is zero. Should you interpret it as being orthogonal on itself?

18. Dec 27, 2015 #17
    Yep. Albert himself sometimes used that notation. It can also be written as x^2+y^2+z^2-t^2. So on second thought, it should have been x^2+y^2+z^2+(it)^2 with standard operator precedence.

The lines for which the metric is zero are null lines. These are the lines traveled by light in a vacuum. As far as light is concerned, it takes zero proper time to travel anywhere in a vacuum. So it is a pseudometric.

If you are interested, you are invited to look up Minkowski spacetime. I'm sure that there are many others who can explain this better than can I. If that isn't enough, there is the Wick rotation.

19. Dec 27, 2015 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I know Minkowski spacetime. I just disagree you can meaningfully talk about angles and orthogonality there. And when you move to GR it becomes even more problematic.

20. Dec 27, 2015 #19
    Only if you choose a particular definition for the inner product. Coordinate systems do not need to be orthogonal, but they do need to be linearly independent.

Which, getting back to the OP, is the point - it is meaningless to talk about dimensions being at right angles, however the coordinate systems we choose to describe position in any geometry are usually more convenient if their bases are orthogonal which, in the case of spatial coordinates, does imply they are at right angles.

21. Dec 27, 2015 #20
    How does this make any sense if we are to accept mathematics as the language of physics? The dimension of spacetime (Minkowski a special case) is defined as the number of parameters needed to specify an event biunivocally in a sufficiently small neighborhood. So the dimension is 4, nothing more, how is it meaningfull to mention angles here? Also, a mathematician would not say dimensions are ''numbers related in abitrary ways''.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook