Why are Pokemon Exceptions considered code smell?

• Thread starter SlurrerOfSpeech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Smell
In summary, when a failure of the 3rd party method is considered to be an unexpected exception and you need to rethrow it, then why not omit the whole try-catch-block at all and let the system propagate the exception to the caller level automatically?
SlurrerOfSpeech
"Gotta catch 'em all"

e.g.

Code:
try { 
  // something that might fail for reasons I don't want to anticipate
}
catch (Exception ex) { 
    // do something
}

I believe there are justifications for doing this:

• Inside the try block I'm using a class from a 3rd party library that doesn't have any documentation. I'm not sure exactly what exceptions might be thrown and for what reason.
  • I'm aware of at least 5 types of exceptions that could be thrown and I would handle them each the same way. It seems rather stupid to write
Code:
catch (ExceptionType1 ex) {
   // do something
}
catch (ExceptionType2 ex) {
   // do same thing as before
}

Technology news on Phys.org
A Google search for "c++ catch all exceptions" led me to some pages (e.g. this one) that give this code:

Code:
try {
}
catch (...) {
    // do something
}

Java has a notion of checked exceptions and unchecked exceptions. For checked exceptions you must add code to either catch the exception or indicate that the given method may throw this exception. As you can imagine your code gets riddled with exception check logic. This causes many programmers to handle the exception poorly when they don't quite know what to do about. By poorly I mean that they may ignore it.

Unchecked exceptions like RuntimeExceptions can happen at anytime and so Java doesn't require you to catch them but instead percolates them to the top and then exit. You then have the option to catch it or not at the appropriate spot. You now have leaner code that handles exceptions better.

One Java best practices technique is to capture checked exceptions and then recast them as RuntimeExceptions or as custom subclasses thereof, if there is no better recourse thus ending the Java compiler check tyranny and ensuring that no exception will be left behind. For large programs this strategy works well but not all Java programmers ascribe to this best practice.

Here's a discussion on the tradeoffs:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/exceptions/runtime.html

Last edited:
When the call of the 3rd party library fails, catching the most general exception,
Java:
try {
}
catch (Exception ex) {
    // do something
}
is not a bad idea, unless your system should behave differently when different exceptions are thrown. When a failure of the 3rd party method is considered to be an unexpected exception and you need to rethrow it, then why not omit the whole try-catch-block at all and let the system propagate the exception to the caller level automatically?
Because in this situation you would pollute your higher level classes with implementation details of the lower level classes (= 3rd party library in this case) and this is not a good idea. So, here the general try-catch-construction above is even a "good" smell: Just wrap the low-level exception with a higher level exception that is more appropriate to your program. For example, when reading data from a data source and your 3rd party modul is some SQL library, propagation of SQLException's to your high-level classes might not be a good idea, because in future you may switch to some other kind of data source that does not know anything about SQL, but you have polluted your higher level modules with SQLExceptions. Wrapping the SQLException into an IllegalStateException, IllegalArgumentException ... or even a general RuntimeException (or something meaningful) is a better way to handle it.

Likes jedishrfu

1. Why are Pokemon Exceptions considered code smell?

Pokemon Exceptions, or "catch-all" exceptions, are considered code smell because they catch all possible exceptions without specifying the exact error. This can make it difficult to troubleshoot and fix errors, as well as create potential security vulnerabilities.

2. What are the consequences of using Pokemon Exceptions?

The consequences of using Pokemon Exceptions include bloated and hard-to-maintain code, as well as the risk of hiding critical errors and making it difficult to identify and fix bugs.

3. Are there any instances where using Pokemon Exceptions is acceptable?

In general, it is not recommended to use Pokemon Exceptions. However, there may be rare cases where catching all exceptions is necessary, such as in a top-level error handler for a web application.

4. How can I avoid using Pokemon Exceptions?

To avoid using Pokemon Exceptions, it is important to identify and handle specific errors rather than catching all exceptions. This can be done through proper error handling and utilizing specific exception classes.

5. Can using Pokemon Exceptions impact the performance of my code?

Yes, using Pokemon Exceptions can negatively impact the performance of your code. Catching all exceptions can slow down the execution of your code and make it more difficult to identify and fix issues.