Why are rotary lip seals and ball bearings used in lathe machine?

• Thread starter sorayahya
  • Start date
The title says it all Why are rotary lip seals and ball bearings used in the input and output shafts of a lathe machine?

Why do you want to know? Are you considering replacing ball bearings with dry running bronze bushes??! Considering what might happen if you do that could answer your question.

Why do you want to know? Are you considering replacing ball bearings with dry running bronze bushes??! Considering what might happen if you do that could answer your question.
Well what I want to know is why exactly are rotary lip seals and ball bearings used and not any other seal and bearing type?

not sure what type of ball bearings are used in lathes but im thinking radial, which means that they permit radial loads and a little bit of axial. then another good thing is that they are cheaper to produce than roller bearings(which dont tolerate axial loads).

now im guessing that the radial shaft seals are used so that the oil is contained in the bearing area of the shaft. i know from uni that motor belts arent supposed to come into contact with oil or any other sharp objects, and i remember from last year when i worked on a MORI SEIKI over the summer that its really important nothing comes into contact with the belt, even when vacuuming the engine compartment i wasnte allowed to touch the belt with the vacuum cleaners nozzle.

if any of my points are wrong someone please correct me

Well what I want to know is why exactly are rotary lip seals and ball bearings used and not any other seal and bearing type?
As I said, if you see what would happen with a bronze bush, you'll know why those aren't used. And that will give you insight into why ball bearings are used. Similarly, consider what would happen with some other seal type.

Can I ask again what this is for?

As I said, if you see what would happen with a bronze bush, you'll know why those aren't used. And that will give you insight into why ball bearings are used. Similarly, consider what would happen with some other seal type.

Can I ask again what this is for?
Because I want to change some parts so I wanted to know If I can put a better seal and bearing.

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you asking for the same reason you were asking about why oil is used in a car engine? This seems like another vaguely worded question with no purpose other than homework, without showing any thoughts or reasoning you might have had on the matter.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads