Why are we able to combine terms in an equation?

• Thread starter Juwane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the purpose of combining terms in an equation is to simplify and condense the expression, making it easier to solve and understand the relationship between variables. Combining terms does not change the overall equation, it only reorganizes the terms for easier manipulation. The rules for combining terms depend on the mathematical operation, with like terms being combinable for addition and subtraction, and all terms being combinable for multiplication and division. Combining terms is important because it simplifies complex expressions, allows for solving unknown variables, and helps to see relationships between different parts of the equation. Any type of equation can have terms combined as long as the rules are followed.
Juwane
Consider this equation:

[tex]x^2 + 5 + 4x + 6 + 3x^2 + 3x = 0[/tex]

We know that we can combine the like terms and write the above equation like this:

[tex]4x^2 + 7x + 11 = 0[/tex]

Why were we able to combine the terms?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Juwane said:
Consider this equation:

We know that we can combine the like terms and write the above equation like this:

Why not? (Don't mean to sound flip, but it sure looks obvious.)

What you are basically asking are why for numbers a,b and a non-negative integer n we have:
[tex](a+b)x^n =ax^n + bx^n[/tex]
In short: because they satisfy this distributive property. If we didn't know this we can deduce it from the distributive property of numbers:
(a+b)c = ac+bc for all numbers a,b,c.

For fixed numbers a,b and a non-negative integer n, define the functions f and g by:
[tex]f(x) = ax^n + bx^n[/tex]
[tex]g(x) = (a+b)x^n[/tex]
We wish to show that these are equal, and they are equal if and only if they agree at all function values. So if f(c) = g(c) for all numbers c, but this follows from:
[tex]f(c) = ac^n+bc^n = (a+b)c^n = g(c)[/tex]
To show that numbers in general satisfy the distributive property you would have to work from the definition of numbers. For integers this can be worked out from the Peano axioms and an inductive argument. For rationals it follows without much trouble from the property for integers. For reals it depends on the construction, but it can get a bit technical and usually such an argument is shown in either introductory analysis or a rigorous calculus course. For complex numbers it follows from the real case without much trouble.

One way of summarizing many of these kinds of properties of numbers is to say that it is a field (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)#Definition_and_illustration" for a short list of the properties that make us call a certain set a field).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the question I wanted to ask was this:

Suppose we have

[tex]Ax^2 + Bx + C = 4x^2 + 7x + 11[/tex]

Why do we say here that A = 4, B = 7, and C = 11?

Juwane said:

Suppose we have

Because x is an independent variable there. Does that make sense?

berkeman said:
Because x is an independent variable there. Does that make sense?

No, somehow I still don't understand.

Please don't get angry with me--I have difficulty understanding math concepts.

Juwane said:
No, somehow I still don't understand.

Please don't get angry with me--I have difficulty understanding math concepts.

No worries! I'm not a math expert, so perhaps there are better words to use than I'm using. Do you see intuitively why it is true, and are looking for a good mathematical proof? The Distributive property comes close, but I suspect that you are looking for something more...

Juwane said:

Suppose we have

I'm not sure what you are asking. If A=4, B =7 and C=11 then certainly:
in the same sense that if a=2, then a+1=2+1. Are you asking how we know that these are the unique valid values? In that case subtract the terms on the right hand side and use distributivity to get the equivalent:
[tex](A-4)x^2 + (B-7)x + (C-11) = 0[/tex]
and we know that the only real polynomial that is identically 0 is the zero polynomial which has coefficient 0 for all terms so A-4 = 0, B-7 = 0, C-11=0 and therefore:
A=4, B=7, C=11

Because anything around the[tex] Ax^2 + Bx + C[/tex] must be 0. For example, [tex] Ax^2 + Bx = 4x^2 + 7x[/tex]. A has to be 4 because nothing else will be able to get up to 4x^2. The same applies for the other coefficients. That's the logical way if you don't understand the properties.

Thank you everyone for explanations. Yes, I was looking for an intuitive and logical explanation rather than a proofy one. I think I now understand somewhat.

Juwane said:
Consider this equation:

Remember that "3x" is short-hand for "x + x + x" and that "x^2" is just a shorter way of writing "x * x"

So when you write x^2 + 5 + 4x + 6 + 3x^2 + 3x

You are "really" writing the following:

x*x + 5 + x + x + x + x + 6 + x*x + x*x + x*x + x + x + x

Since the order you add things in is of no importance (the commutative property of addition) you can sort it as such:

x*x + x*x + x*x + x*x + x + x + x + x + x + x + x + 5 + 6

and then when you write that in the shorter form you get

4x^2 + 7x + 11

k

Good explanation, knewbie! Thanks!

Juwane said:
Consider this equation:

Technically, it is the "distributive property": ac+ bc= (a+ c) together with the "commutative property of addition", a+ b= b+ a.

Buy the commutative property, we can switch those values around to get
[tex]x^2+ 3x^2+ 4x+ 3x+ 5+ 6= 0[/tex]
Then, by the distributive property,
[tex]x^2+ 3x^2= (1+ 3)x^2= 4x^2[/tex]
[tex]4x+ 3x= (4+ 3)x= 7x[/itex]
and, of course, 5+ 6= 11.

Putting those together,
[tex]x^2+ 4x+ 5+ 3x^2+ 3x+ 6= 4x^2+ 7x+ 11= 0[/tex]

What is the purpose of combining terms in an equation?

The purpose of combining terms in an equation is to simplify and condense the expression. This makes it easier to solve and understand the relationship between the variables.

How does combining terms affect the overall equation?

Combining terms does not change the overall equation. It simply reorganizes the terms in a way that makes it easier to solve or manipulate.

What are the rules for combining terms in an equation?

The rules for combining terms in an equation depend on the mathematical operation being used. For addition and subtraction, only like terms can be combined (terms with the same variables raised to the same powers). For multiplication and division, the terms can be combined regardless of the variables or powers.

Why is it important to combine terms in an equation?

Combining terms in an equation is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve for the unknown variables. It also helps us to see the relationship between different variables and make connections between different parts of the equation.

Can terms be combined in any type of equation?

Yes, terms can be combined in any type of equation as long as the rules for combining terms are followed. This includes equations with one or more variables, as well as equations involving different mathematical operations.