Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why at the south hemisphere the sun rises from the west?

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hello

I wanted to ask why at the south hemisphere the sun rises from the west?
    We know that earth rotates reversely than the watch pointers(this happeness to both hemispheres),so all the "sky" (the stars etc..) goes to the opposite direction.

If someone could explain me..

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    The sun does not rise in the West in the Southern Hemisphere.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    That's ridiculous!! So you're one step north of the equator at sunrise and you step over to the south. What's the sun going to do?? Disappear and appear in the West???

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What might be confusing you is that the stars do rotate in the opposite direction in the south but that's because you, or your telescope, is facing the south pole intead of the north.

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    Yes..it confuses me.I can't visualize this.
    I say,that it doesn't matter where you are,all the "sky" rotates from east to west.

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi ggeo1! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Just to confused you further :confused: :cry:

in the Northern hemisphere, outside the Tropics, the sun rotates clockwise, but in the Southern hemisphere, the sun rotates anti-clockwise. :smile:

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is true -
    But if you lay on your back at the north pole (watch out for polar bears) the stars are moving from left to right.
    If you lay on your back at the south pole the stars are still moving east to west but east is now on your right side so the stars appear to be moving in the opposite direction, from right to left.

9. Nov 10, 2008 #8
    To visualize this.
    Find a oneway street and stand on one side with trafffic passing left to right (for east to west).
    Cross the street where inorder to view the traffic you must now turn around just as you do when you turn south.
    the traffic is now moving from right to left.
    From your POV a change; not a change for the traffic.

10. Nov 10, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you are standing at the equator, you can choose to face either the north or south pole...

11. Nov 11, 2008 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It's a coordinate system thing. Facing the north pole, the sun always rises to your right, align with the south pole, it rises to your left. You can do that anywhere on earth, except at the poles. At the north pole, the sun rises at your left [west] because you are always facing south [and vice versa from the south pole].

12. Nov 11, 2008 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That works even when you aren't at the equator....

13. Nov 11, 2008 #12
    Thank you all for your answers.
    I understand what you say but i can't understand this:

[​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/IMG

Why the man has to had the head up and not down and the reverse.

14. Nov 11, 2008 #13
    He does not have to face in any direction, just take into account what the POV used is and how that View affects what he sees - reread post # 8.

15. Nov 12, 2008 #14
    Ok,thank you all.

I understand what's happening but it confuses me a little.I'll find it!

Thank you!

16. Nov 12, 2008 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, yes, but if you are in the souther hemisphere and looking toward the north pole, you're looking at the ground, not the sky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?