Why C([0,1]) and C_{o} are not isomorphic?

• Thread starter pp007
  • Start date
In summary: But, this is not always the case. Take for example the sequence:0 --> C_{o}((0,1)) --> C[((0,1)) --> C\oplusC --> (1,1))This sequence does not split because (1,1) is not an element of C_{o}().
pp007
Can anyone explain why C([0,1]) and C_{o} [tex]\oplus C [/tex][tex]\oplus C [/tex] (where C=complex ) are not isomorphic?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your question is not clear to me. Not isomorphic as what? Which category? C([0,1]) looks like the space of continuous functions on the unit interval. With what structure? Banach space? What is C_{o}?

Sorry for not being clear.

Yes, C([0,1]) is as a Banach space and C_{o} is the space of function vanishing at infinity.

I am trying to think, but I got confused. We are on on a compact interval and C_{o} does not make much sense for me in this situation. Say, I take f(x)=|x-1/2|. It is continuous, vanishes at 1/2 and so it is in C_{o} (can be made arbitrarily small outside a compact set)!

Last edited:

Sorry, I forgot to put in (0,1). For some reason, I think that I did. (Texing is not going very well for me.) So, It's the space of function on (0,1) vanishing at infinity.

But for continuous functions on an open interval which norm are you taking?

I assume that we are taking the sup norm. Is there a problem?

Yes, there is a problem. For instance 1/x is a continuous function on the open interval (0,1).

The only definitions I've seen about functions vanishing at infinity require you to have points that go to infinity. How are you defining it on the interval (0,1)?

Office_Shredder said:
The only definitions I've seen about functions vanishing at infinity require you to have points that go to infinity. How are you defining it on the interval (0,1)?

I guess like in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_functions_on_a_compact_Hausdorff_space" in "Generalizations".

I guess he will replace now C(X) by "continuous bounded functions", but then we have sin(1/x)
which is continuous bounded, but has no limit at x=0 - which will spoil the isomorphism. My guess is that these two complex C were supposed to be the limits at both ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

From a first glance, it seems that vanishing at infinity on (0,1) just means continuous functions on [0,1] which are zero at 0 and 1. Just looking at intervals of the form (1/n, 1-1/n), for each epsilon f(x) can only be larger than epsilon on finitely many of these intervals, which means that looking at the limit at x goes to zero or 1 must be zero. Is that wrong?

Office_Shredder said:
From a first glance, it seems that vanishing at infinity on (0,1) just means continuous functions on [0,1] which are zero at 0 and 1. Just looking at intervals of the form (1/n, 1-1/n), for each epsilon f(x) can only be larger than epsilon on finitely many of these intervals, which means that looking at the limit at x goes to zero or 1 must be zero. Is that wrong?

I think this is the case. The mistake of the OP was that he thought that every bounded continuous function has finite limits at both end. You would subtract then the straight line connecting these segments and you get vanishing at the ends.

I was trying to figure out why the sequence:

0 --> C_{o}((0,1)) --> C[([0,1]) --> C[tex]\oplus[/tex]C --> 0

is exact but does not split. I got confused thinking that if the middle is not isomorphic to the direct sum of two sides then the sequence does not split. This is only the case when the one on the left is unital.

1. Why are C([0,1]) and C_{o} not isomorphic?

The spaces C([0,1]) and C_{o} are not isomorphic because they have different algebraic structures. C([0,1]) is a Banach space, meaning it is a complete normed vector space, while C_{o} is not a Banach space. This difference in structure makes it impossible for the two spaces to be isomorphic.

2. What is the difference between C([0,1]) and C_{o}?

The main difference between C([0,1]) and C_{o} is that C([0,1]) contains all continuous functions on the closed interval [0,1], while C_{o} only contains continuous functions that vanish at the endpoint 0. Additionally, as mentioned before, C([0,1]) is a Banach space while C_{o} is not.

3. Can C([0,1]) and C_{o} be mapped onto each other?

No, C([0,1]) and C_{o} cannot be mapped onto each other. This is because isomorphisms preserve the algebraic structure of a space, and since C([0,1]) and C_{o} have different structures, it is impossible for them to be mapped onto each other.

4. Are there any other notable differences between C([0,1]) and C_{o}?

Another notable difference between C([0,1]) and C_{o} is that C([0,1]) is a separable space, meaning it has a countable dense subset, while C_{o} is not separable. This means that C([0,1]) has "more" continuous functions than C_{o}, as it has a countable basis of functions while C_{o} does not.

5. Can C([0,1]) and C_{o} have the same topological properties?

While C([0,1]) and C_{o} may have some similar topological properties, such as being locally compact and Hausdorff, they cannot have all the same topological properties. This is because topological properties are preserved under isomorphisms, and since C([0,1]) and C_{o} are not isomorphic, they cannot have all the same topological properties.