Why Can't I Swim Underwater Without Closing My Nose?

• Thread starter superweirdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Underwater
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of swimming underwater and the different techniques and preferences people have for avoiding getting water up their nose. The person sharing their experience reveals that they can only swim underwater by holding their nose with their hands, but this hinders their ability to swim properly. Some solutions are suggested, but the conversation takes a humorous turn towards the end.
superweirdo
I always used to swim underwater but one day, I saw someone standing by their hands underwater, so I closed my nose by my hands and copied him. Since then, I can only swim underwater closing my nose w/ my hands, but then again, I need both of my hands to swim. So, I actually can't swim underwater. Do any of you know what might be responsible for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've discovered you hate getting water up your nose.

1] Get used to it.
or
2] Blow a tiny bit of air out your nose as you swim. This will keep water out of your nose.

When you say I have discovered, you mean it used to irritate me but I didn't know about it?

superweirdo said:
When you say I have discovered, you mean it used to irritate me but I didn't know about it?
You tell me. You're perfectly capable of swimming underwater without holding your nose - why do you not want to?

I think you'll find that some people can't block their noses, and exhaling doesn't work either.

If you can't swim under water where CAN you swim?

Whats with the thread necromancy lately?

Hey, I wasn't dead.

Then you should drop in here more often to remind us of that fact :tongue:

This is the most hilarious question I have ever seen posted on PF.

No, in fact, it is one of the dumbest threads ever posted anywhere on the internet.

Locked.

1. Why do I have to close my nose when swimming underwater?

Closing your nose when swimming underwater is necessary because it helps prevent water from entering your nasal passages and reaching your lungs. Our nasal passages are connected to our respiratory system, so if water were to enter, it could lead to discomfort, choking, and even potential infection.

2. Can't I just hold my breath instead of closing my nose?

While you can hold your breath when swimming underwater, it is not as effective as closing your nose. Holding your breath requires you to actively use your muscles, which can be tiring and may affect your swimming performance. Closing your nose, on the other hand, is a simple and passive way to prevent water from entering your nasal passages.

3. Why do some people seem to be able to swim underwater without closing their nose?

Some people may have a natural ability to control their muscles in a way that allows them to keep their nasal passages closed while swimming underwater. Additionally, some individuals may have developed this skill through practice and training. However, it is still recommended to close your nose when swimming underwater to avoid any potential risks.

4. Can I learn how to swim underwater without closing my nose?

Yes, it is possible to learn how to swim underwater without closing your nose. This skill can be developed through practice and training, as well as learning proper breathing techniques. However, it is important to note that closing your nose when swimming underwater is still the safest and most effective method.

5. Is it dangerous to swim underwater without closing my nose?

Swimming underwater without closing your nose can be dangerous as it increases the risk of water entering your nasal passages and potentially causing infection or injury. Additionally, not closing your nose may also affect your breathing and swimming performance. It is always best to err on the side of caution and close your nose when swimming underwater.