Why don't I always catch a cold?

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary: If our immune systems are compromised in some way (due to lack of sleep, poor diet, etc.), then we're more susceptible to getting sick and even dying from complications.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Can I assume that even though I am a bit of a germ phobe that my body is on a daily basis exposed to cold germs? I try to be careful about keeping my hands clean and not sticking them in the wrong places (mouth, nose, eyes ?).

If I am constantly exposed to cold germs and I don't always get a cold can I assume that normally my immune system can fight off cold germs?

If I eat well, sleep well, and have a job that requires the expenditure of a moderate amount of energy can I assume that my immune system is best prepared to defeat cold germs that might get into me?

If on the other hand my diet is not optimal, I don't sleep enough or don't sleep well, and I work to exhaustion that my immune system is then not at peak performance and not best prepared to fight off cold germs?

If a cold germ manages to infect someone can I assume that there can be a spectrum of outcomes, from no signs of sickness to death from complications?

Thank you for any help or suggestions. Getting over a cold and pissed at getting sick.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd say you hit the nail on the head with every point. Normally your body does just fine even though it is surrounded by viruses and bacteria. Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, you just can't fight off the germ quick enough to avoid getting symptoms and catching a cold. IE normally if a few bacteria/viruses get into you they are eliminated quickly, but sometimes they aren't and are able to multiply and cause symptoms.

Likes Spinnor
Also the common cold is not just one disease it's actually caused by many different combinations of viruses. As time goes on and you catch a cold your body becomes immune to that strain of the common cold and as you get older you are less likely to become infected with the common cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

Likes Spinnor
Drakkith said:
IE normally if a few bacteria/viruses get into you they are eliminated quickly, but sometimes they aren't and are able to multiply and cause symptoms.

I'm not an expert, but I've always held the view that it's not usually the presence of a dangerous virus or bacteria or substance, but the amount that matters. Our bodies contain lots of dangerous entities, but usually are in manageable amounts and in the right places.

Likes Spinnor

I can assure you that your assumption is correct. Your body is constantly exposed to cold germs on a daily basis, and it is your immune system's job to fight off these germs and prevent you from getting sick. However, the strength and effectiveness of your immune system can vary based on several factors, such as your diet, sleep habits, and level of physical activity.

Eating well, getting enough sleep, and having a moderate level of physical activity can certainly help boost your immune system and make it more efficient at fighting off cold germs. On the other hand, if your diet is not optimal, you are not getting enough sleep, and you are constantly exhausted from work, your immune system may not be at its peak performance and may struggle to fight off cold germs.

It is also important to note that even with a strong immune system, there can still be a spectrum of outcomes when it comes to getting sick. Some people may not show any signs of sickness at all, while others may experience more severe symptoms. This can also depend on factors such as age, underlying health conditions, and overall health status.

In conclusion, while being a germ phobe and practicing good hygiene habits can certainly help prevent the spread of cold germs, it is ultimately your immune system's ability to fight off these germs that determines whether or not you will catch a cold. Taking care of your overall health and well-being can certainly improve your immune system's performance and decrease your chances of getting sick.

1. Why do some people seem to catch a cold more often than others?

There are several factors that can contribute to an individual's susceptibility to catching a cold. One potential factor is a weakened immune system, which can be caused by stress, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, or underlying health conditions. Additionally, exposure to viruses and other germs can vary based on factors like living or working in close quarters with others, frequent travel, and hygiene habits.

2. Can you build immunity to the common cold?

While the common cold is caused by hundreds of different viruses and it is difficult to build immunity to all of them, your body can develop some level of immunity to specific viruses that you have been exposed to before. This is why people tend to catch colds less frequently as they get older; they have been exposed to more viruses and have built up some immunity. However, it is still possible to catch a cold multiple times as there are always new viruses emerging.

3. Why do some people never seem to catch a cold?

Some people may have a stronger immune system that is better able to fight off viruses before they can cause symptoms. Additionally, they may have better hygiene habits and avoid exposure to germs more effectively. Genetics can also play a role in an individual's susceptibility to colds.

4. Is it true that going out in the cold can make you catch a cold?

No, this is a common misconception. Colds are caused by viruses, not by cold weather. However, being in cold weather can weaken your body's defenses and make it easier for viruses to take hold. It is still important to dress warmly and take other precautions to protect your health during the colder months.

5. Why do I sometimes catch a cold even when I am taking preventative measures?

While taking preventative measures like washing your hands frequently, avoiding contact with sick individuals, and getting enough rest and nutrition can help reduce your chances of catching a cold, they do not guarantee immunity. Viruses are constantly evolving and spreading, making it difficult to fully prevent catching a cold. Additionally, some viruses can be transmitted even before a person shows symptoms, making it harder to avoid exposure.